Chapter 20

Silence.

Thomas' hand reached to the table, grabbing his cup of water. He took the glass nearer his face, but hesitating thereafter. Ella thought he must had difficulties in swallowing, but she never thought that Thomas would splash the water to his face.

Thomas was still.

Very, very still.

"..Papa?"

It was like a time spell was casted, or rather, someone turned him into an ice sculpture. Ella worriedly checked the magic fluctuations on the air. It was normal.

"....em, Papa?"

"Ella, do you want to go to the doctor?"

"Eh, I'm not sick. I'm perfectly fine."

"Oh." Thomas shut his mouth again and rested his chin on his hand.

"Papa?"

"Hm..?"

"I'm serious."

"Oh?" Thomas woke up from his tranced state. "Oh, yeah, sure." He absentmindedly answered.

Ella sighed. She stood up, walked up to Thomas' side and knelt. Ella lightly shook her father's arm. "Pa. I'm serious."

Thomas pretended he didn't hear Ella's words at all. When Ella didn't concede, but rather continued to strongly held his arm, Thomas started to slowly move his sight to his only daughter. He didn't know what should he say. He was at a loss for words. At one side, this was what Thomas wanted so badly. At another side, this condition of reality had hit him hard, round on the face. 

"Who was it?"

"The man you brought last time. Henry Jones."

"But I thought you didn't want to marry him?"

"At first, yes."

"And now?"

"Well, he proposed to me today."

"And?"

"I plan to say yes tomorrow."

"Is that the only one?"

"What?"

"You don't tend to use him to escape the ball, are you?"

Ella was surprised at her father's strong intuition. Thomas knew, somehow, her deep hatred towards the ball. But she knew she didn't want to use Jones. She decided she'd try to love him.

"No, Papa. I'm not using him."

"Okay then," Thomas looked he aged ten more years in one night, "go eat dinner and sleep."

"Okay. Good night, Papa."

"Rest well."

After Ella's departure, Thomas set his sight on an old photo frame. He traced the person's smooth jawline on the picture. "The time is coming, soon."

"Ella!" Thomas regained a lot more vigor and composure after a good night sleep. When Ella got downstairs to eat breakfast, he even managed to scold her a lot. "You're going to be a wife like that? Are you serious? Poor Jones Jr!"

Ella only nodded, and sleepily ate her chocolate toast.

"Eh." Thomas glanced at his teenage daughter. "Ella!"

"Yes, Papa?" Ella continued to half-heartedly ate breakfast. She missed her blanket already.

"Bring Henry here after telling him your answer, will you?"

"'Kay."

"And how actually do you want to plan a wedding on such a short notice?"

"We'll manage, Papa." Ella's toast was half-eaten.

"If I weren't your father, I'd think you're pregnant!"

"No, Papa.." Ella looked at Thomas helplessly. But suddenly she remembered something. "Shit," Ella cursed under her breath, "Tucker!"

"What?" Thomas looked at Ella, his expression definitely suspicious. "You're not pregnant, aren't you?"

"No, I'm not." Ella sobered up. She gulped down the rest of her toast and got up. "I'm done with breakfast." With that, she flew back to her room, leaving Thomas eyeing her with a gaze that turned sad with the time passing.

"Harold!"

"Yes, Young Miss?" Harold stopped his work and went to Ella.

"How's Tucker?"Harold's expression turned a bit ugly. "She's crazy, Young Miss. I only hope she doesn't lose my baby. They're assigning her a nurse to guard her."

"It'll be her fourth month soon, right?"

"Yes, Young Miss. The mid of July, somewhere soon."

"Do you need my help with anything?"

Harold got a flicker of surprise. He smiled weakly after, and only replied. "No, Young Miss, this is already more than enough."

"If you need anything, just tell me. If I'm not here, you can tell Lily."

Harold nodded, respect clearly gestured. The Harold now, with exhaustion written all over his face, had matured. He was a father.

"I'll be going, then."

"Sure, Young Miss, good luck on your date."

When Ella went inside the café, she spotted Henry Jones immediately. She didn't beat around the bush and came over to him.

"You're early," Ella slid down the chair, "nervous?"

"How couldn't I?" Jones chuckled. "Had the feeling you'd come earlier, so here I am."

Seeing this man in front of her, Ella smiled. Warm.

"So here's my answer."

"What, directly, right here and right now?"

"Do you want to wait?" Ella teased Jones, her lips curved.

"No." Jones replied seriously. "Just preparing my heart."

"My answer's yes."

"...." He froze. "Really?"

"Now that I've said it, you're not allowed to take your proposal back, and you're not allowed to regret anything in choosing me, because I'll bring an endless, otherworldly troubles for sure."

Jones gazed intensely at Ella's eyes. "It's going to be worth it."

Ella gazed back. She knew that Fairy Mary wouldn't be letting her off anytime soon. If she targeted her specifically, she wouldn't give up until the very end. Ella would drag Jones into her problems. "I decided to trust you, not only believe you." She smiled at this thought. "So you'll have to take care of me."

Jones nodded, his eyes filled with tender care and pampering love. He took big gulps of his dark hazelnut.

"Oh yes!"

"Hmm?"

"Papa told me to tell you to come and meet him."

The coffee sprayed everywhere.

"Right there, and right now." Ella grinned.

Author's Note:

Extra chapter update today for dearest uzziyura! Lots love, AA.