18

When I got home my parents were sitting in the living room, dad looked worried as he tried to comfort my crying mother.

"What's going on?''

My mother gave a short laugh and held her chest, while dad embraced me, which made me confused about their action.

"I'm glad you're ok." He said cupping my face.

I tried to pull away, "what's going on?"

They both exchanged a look and dad spoke.

"I'm not entirely happy that you sneaked out but I'm glad you did, someone from my past came by without me knowing, your room was the first place he went when I couldn't find you, I thought that he got you. It's ok now though, the police have him."

I allowed myself to cry again, "mom, dad. I'm sorry, I shouldn't have sneaked out."

"It's fine honey, I guess it was for the best, there was no telling what he would have done.'' Dad caressed my cheek, in turn, I flinched. My face was still hurting from the slaps I got just now.

"Oh, Isabella, are you ok?'' Mom took my face in her hands, turning it to the left and right.

I shook my head, ''got in a fight but it's nothing serious or to worry about.''

"Who did this to you?'' Mom pressed.

I looked away.

"Young lady, who did this to you?'' She demanded.

I eventually told them about the fight because I knew that mom wouldn't let up.

I noticed them exchanging looks.

"Isabella," mom took my hands. "I have been hearing a few things, about Mason and Murray's girl. Is it true?"

I nod, "can we just move away now?"

This time dad spoke but he held onto my shoulders while doing so, "look kiddo. I know that he's your best friend or whatever but sometimes it's all for the best, people are dragged out of our life and it gets much better from there, Mason, well you know I didn't really like him but if he moved on so should you."

I shook my head and pulled away from him, "you don't get it, dad, she's lying, Charlotte is lying. She's not pregnant, her father put her up to it because he's now poor. It's all just a scheme to get rich and remain in power. Charlotte no doubt gladly did it because she thinks, she can get on some tv show but it's mostly to get back at me."

They said nothing while they were standing before me, dad simply had a grim look and then he laughed.

"Well, I'll be damned, like father like son they always say. You know the history of your grandparents and me but what you don't know is that it's caused by Murray senior." Dad gave a deep sigh and took a seat.

"Back in the day, Murry senior lost his job in the city. Because of my father's status and wealth, he pulled the same stunt on me with his daughter, the only difference was, we were dating and well out of high school. The old man was buying baby things and funding doctor's appointments. And no matter how much I asked there was never an ultrasound, no baby shower and eventually, no baby but the ultimate scam was how Murry Senior got fifty million dollars from my father, claiming that I caused a miscarriage. Of course, the old man didn't hesitate in paying up the sum. Leading him to start the 'empire tycoon' Murry junior now has."

"The Reid's are rich, so what better way to build back a failing business.'' Dad finished.

My mind was reeling from all that information, I have even more reasons to hate Charlotte. Her family has caused mine so much dismay and downfall.

"Do you think this is why she hates me? Cause ever since the sixth grade, that girl has held on to so much malice for me.'

"If you ask me, it's cause you are prettier, smarter and have a better life. Both Murry senior and junior are notorious for engaging and evolving their daughters in sexual activities, in exchange for money, land or even the slightest amount of status. So not seeing you experiencing that, plus whatever lies her father has been feeding to her, of course, she has all the reason to act that way towards you.'' Dad remarked.

"So this is just an endless cycle? A generation of family trying to monopolize and capitalize off of other people's destruction.'' I put across.

"The only way to stop them is to expose them, find dirty and throw it on their name.'' Dad suggested.

I looked up at him, he was actually telling me how to win this war, then a plan formed in my head, "thanks, dad."

I gave them both a quick hug and ran up to my room to text Savannah, I couldn't wait until the morning for this. My excitement was cut short when I heard a sneeze coming from my closet, I sprang off my bed and picked up the plastic baseball bat.

I used the handle to push the door open, swinging wildly after see only the outline of a person. I open my mouth to scream when they pulled the bat away but the person called my name.

"Romaine, what the hell?''

"This thing is plastic it's not really doing much." He laughed, before stepping out of the closet and looked around, ''second time here, second time in your closet."

I rolled my eyes, "what do you want?"

Romaine said nothing instead he pulled me close and forced his lips on mine.

The only thing I could do was bite him.

Romaine wiped at his lips checking for blood.

"Isabella, why can't you just?'' Romaine sighed and hang his head.

"Well, one, you seem to be trying too hard, two that bitch Auberg and you know how I feel about Mason.''

Romaine laughed, "Mason? Of course. Why can't you see that he's just a good-for-nothing train wreck?''

I frowned, "and you are any better? Remember you were just like him, properly still is but only trying to hide it."

Romaine shook his head, "I was but I changed, I realized that that life was not for me and I didn't want to cause my mother anymore heartache."

I looked away, "but yet you never tell me a thing about you."

At that same time Romaine took off his shirt, I was so shocked all I could do was stare at his well-sculpted body with an open mouth.

"What are you doing?" I finally managed out.

"You want to know so I'll show you." Romaine point at a scar, then another and another. He had three, on his neck, his side and his shoulder. "At my last school I was in a gang, I beat the shit out of this kid for no reason at all, I guess I did it out of anger or just for fun.''" He laughed, but it was humourless.

"His brother and friends came looking for me, no matter where I went, they still came. A supermarket was the last place, the three of them cornered me and start stabbing. I killed one of them and got locked up, it kinda messed me up and changed my family's life. Patents got a divorce, my younger sister killed herself and I felt so lost and alone." Tears poured down his face as he spoke.

I reached out to him and pulled him into a hug, "Mason did all those things as well but his parents would always pay off whoever, to get him out of trouble."

Romaine and I fell asleep still holding onto each other, it was pleasant and actually put my mind at ease for a bit.