Responsibilities and Duties 2

Waking at first light, Ye Hua rose to prepare breakfast.  Having sent ahead word to The Celestial Heavens to expect them, Bai Zhi had informed Ye Hua to be ready by mid morning, though having been up all night and into the early hours of the morning, he doubted if the Fox Family would be up in time.  But preparing breakfast anyway, he was surprised to see Mi Gu emerge from his chamber wide eyed and looking happy knowing the sprite had been the last to bed, as he would have stayed up to ensured everyone made it home safely.

Immediately entering the kitchen to assist, he quickly grabbed the dishes to set the table, before returning to assist with the cooking.  "You're a fantastic cook Lord Ye Hua." he said smiling up at the man who would soon join their family and being rather in awe of him, he wasn't overly sure if making light conversation was appropriate or not.

"It's my one guilty pleasure." he said laughing and fully putting the sprite at ease.

"Guilty pleasure?" Mi Gu asked a bit mystified by the remark being one he was not familiar with, while assuming it was either a Celestial saying or a young persons saying.

Chuckling lightly at the sprites obvious lack of youthful contact, he wondered just how old the sprite was.  "Though I learned to cook from the many chefs at The Celestial Palace, it is not common knowledge.  The Fox family are the only ones I have cooked for." he said lightly as he smile back at him.

"Well it is just as well you can cook, you would surely starve if you had to rely on that girl to cook for you." he replied with a wry smile as a whole week of scaly fish and under cooked rice came back to them both.

Laughing at the side jab, Ye Hua put down the ladle as a thought hit him.  "You know Mi Gu, when Qian Qian and I move into Xiwu Palace, my duties which had been put on hold for some time will need my attention when I return.  Would you mind spending some with us?  It will give her a familiar face and someone to talk to when I'm not there.  You could also perhaps help her to select her staff, you have a very good intuition when it comes to personalities, so you're input will be invaluable." he suggested much to the surprise of Mi Gu who was completely taken aback by the thought of serving the girl in a place like that, he would feel completely out of place and Ye Hua knew it.  But to have been asked, suggested he thought more highly of him than he had realized which was heart warming, so nodding his head without a word, he agreed.

And as he pondered the request, Ye Hua watched the sprite carefully.  He actually did like the man, he was honest and always had Bai Qians interests at heart even though he was rather vocal in his opinions, especially when it came to her, something he would have to watch while in The Celestial Heavens, but there was one question that he needed an answer to, because he knew if he didn't it would plague him.  "Mi Gu, how old are you?" he asked outright, another question which took the sprite aback, but this time he was smiling.

"I am 170,000 years old Lord Ye Hua.  I have been with the Fox since I was a boy." he said smiling up at him, as Ye Hua finished cooking.  

"Stop lying Mi Gu, you're older than Di Jun, and everyone knows it old man." Bai Qian said laughing as she entered behind him.

Turning on her Mi Gu puffed out his chest.  "I will have you know young lady, I am also your elder and therefore you better." he said sniffing his nose down at her.

"Suddenly throwing her arms around his waist, she hugged him tightly, completely taking him off guard.  "You'll come with me won't you Mi Gu." she suddenly blurted out, having heard Ye Huas request for his presence.  "No one else knows me like you do." she stared up tearfully at him, and not caring if Ye Hua was watching.  She knew he would not grow jealous of Mi Gu, but the thought of him not being there, having always been there since she was a baby, was suddenly a possibility she did not want to face.