3 | 1

I fought for control over the fear that washed over me. My heart was pounding in my chest, but I didn't know whether it was more from my sudden realization of my whereabouts, or of the memories I'd had.

      The last one had especially shaken me to my core. Just thinking about it made me feel a mixture of sharp emotions: rage, hopelessness, and most of all, terror. I'd never been able to remember exactly what had taken place that day, and now I wished that I hadn't finally recalled.

      I blinked my eyes a few times, though the blindfold prevented me from seeing anything. Hundsen had really gotten his information straight. The man that had assaulted me at the party all those days ago, if he really worked for the Club, must have informed Hundsen that if I was blindfolded, my powers would be worthless. I had no idea what lay in the space around me.

     Due to the rumbling sound and the slight vibration of the metal behind my back, I figured that I was in either a truck or some sort of a trailer. I then decided that my first priority should be taking off the blindfold. Once it was off, I could most likely break out.

     Straining my ears, I listened for a sign that there were any more guards in the automobile. Arlo, with his increased senses would be helpful right now, but he wasn't here. This was why I couldn't rely on my team. So I would have to break out myself.

    When I'd just about given up on hearing anything in the rumbling truck, I heard the slight rustling of fabric on fabric as the truck bumped around. Bingo.

It came from somewhere to my right, but I couldn't gauge how far away. Even if I did know where I was and how far away the other person was, I had no way of attacking them. I was defenseless.

To my horror, I heard another sound, this one in front of me. This noise sounded intended. My mind worked to match the sound to something, anything, but I couldn't figure it out.

Only when the sound turned to a slight clanking and banging sound did I understand that it sounded like someone was struggling. Was someone else imprisoned here like me?

My mind went back to right before Hundsen had me injected. He'd had Jake take the shot also. Was Jake here too, being sent to the same unknown place as me?

I stopped thinking when I heard the guard rise from their seat and, start towards the thrashing prisoner. So I acted on pure instinct and threw my shoulders and head against the person as I felt their presence in front of me.

My aim was true, and my body found another's. There was a stumbling sound as the person tripped forward with my force.

      A groaning noise was added to the scuffling of sounds, and the guard's heavy body dropped onto my feet. They were either dead or unconscious, knocked down by some unknown person or thing. I tried to move my feet, but the weight was too heavy.

     I heard the low, quick mumble of a few words said somewhere to my left. Before I knew it, there were hands gripping my shoulders tightly, trying to force me to stay in place. But with one turn and one powerful shove of my shoulder, I pushed the second guard forward, and they met the same fate as the first.

     The truck went silent for a few moments. It seemed that all of the guards had been taken down.

     Taking a large risk, I asked quietly into the truck that I couldn't see, "Are we alone?"