Southern Worries

Hussain's warm body was pressed against mine naturally. Just like when we were kids. My mind was wandering, keeping me fully alert and awake. I stared at the silhouette of my twin's body. He indeed got taller.

It felt strange to sleep next to someone who wasn't Jako. Jako and I never had any sexual interactions, but we still slept next to each other every night. Ever since he helped me with my nightmares, he stayed. Right by my side to keep me sane.

Somehow, it felt comforting to know that Hussain was here instead of Jako. I knew it was wrong not to miss Jako, but Hussain was my blood, my brother, my twin. The only family member alive. I wanted to cherish it forever. His quiet breaths were the only sign of reality. I kept repeating to myself that he was real.

My brother was alive. He survived.

"Zaila?" A quiet voice called out.

I immediately pushed myself up with my elbows. "Hussain? Are you up?" I asked. His body shifted as he moved to face me. "I can't sleep," he admitted quietly, like when we were young. I stared at his face.

The same face I use to stare at when I would wonder how I looked like. Swirling memories of Mom and Dad wafted into my head. If I stared at him any longer, I would start crying. I glanced down at my hands.

"How did you know I was awake?" I questioned. Hussain cracked a small smile. "I would sleep next to you every night. I know, Zaila." He answered. I nodded, pushing myself off the bed. "Come. Grab a blanket." I said in a hushed tone.

I quickly plucked a wool blanket from the bed, wrapping it around me. I easily slipped into my boots. With a-blanket-wrapped-Hussain, we walked out of the room together. I didn't need to tell him how to move stealthily. We grew up learning how to hunt, creating a certain balance for stealth and quickness.

We tip toed down the staircase, careful not to let any stair creak under our weight. As we neared the door, I unlocked it, letting my brother go out first. We slipped out into the chilly dark in a matter of moments.

The soft crunch under our feet from the gravel was the only noise made into the still night. The silver moon shone bright above us, illuminating the streets with shadows. Hussain looked around with hesitation. "Zaila..."

I gestured him with my hand to follow me. We crept toward the back of the house, following the side of it. I kept my hand against the side, guiding me as we stepped through some dark corners of the neighborhood.

We reached the back of the house, where the river was still flowing down into the abyss. I jerked my chin. We followed the sand colored ledge that kept any person from falling over. I continued to let my hand guide me as we passed some houses.

Shadows casted down on us, blinding me at some point. Hussain stayed right at my heels, not faltering a second. The ground under me began to give, indicating the start of the rocky hill. "Be careful. The hill starts here." I whispered, not knowing why I needed to whisper when we were out in the open.

I continued with caution, wincing as a few rocks skittered down. The hill itself was dangerous, it was very steep with barely any leverage. One silly mistake and someone could tumble down to a harsh death. Yet I didn't know how people built the houses over this particular hill.

After a few more minutes of moving down the hill with careful feet, we reached the bottom. The river bank was high above the strong water pushing its way through. Soft moss covered the bedrock at the edge of the riverbank.

I carefully went towards the edge of the riverbank. My foot automatically found the black glimmering rock nearby. Since I usually crossed the river, I knew exactly which rocks were stable and which weren't. Rock after rock I steadily placed my feet in the right places, crossing the river easily.