Chapter Two

~Wesley~

Wesley O'Bryne sat in the only coffee shop in Buern, enjoying his hot cup of coffee while he listened to old Mrs. Canry talk about her missing granddaughter.

Casting a glance out of the large picture window, main street Buern smiled back at him. The tiny mom-and-pop grocery store sat across the street, the only place in town to grab milk or that toilet paper that never made it on the list for the city.

An old-time movie theater, with an old marquis sign above the doors, sat beside Ella's Clothing Boutique. In a red brick building rested the only bank in town. And a little further down the road was a Bed & Breakfast. With blue siding, white trim, and the white picket fence around the yard, it was the best place to stay. Although Wesley didn't think it got much tourist business outside of summer.

The facades hadn't changed much since the town was built back in the mid-1800s. Or so Alex -- Wesley's adopted father - liked to tell him. With a small population, it was the perfect place for a solitary pack of werewolves to call home.

Listening to Mrs. Canry, he took one last glance up and down the street. Nothing looked out of the ordinary. But then a woman with fire red hair got out of a used Camry and the hairs on his arms stood on end. He had never seen her before, and everyone in Buern knew everyone.

Her clean skinny jeans and nice-looking purple sweater made him think she was from the city. No one in Buern ever had jeans that spotless. Watching her glance up and down the street, he couldn't help but feel something was different about her. But he couldn't place the feeling. She started walking across the street, headed right for the Magic Muffin where he sat, then stopped.

Right in the middle of the damn road.

He had never been so thankful main street Buern wasn't a busy thoroughfare. What was she doing? Her body had gone completely still and her eyes were wide, staring down the road at... nothing. He was about to excuse himself and run into the road to get the crazy woman, but then someone else got her moving for him. A gray truck coming down the road stopped behind her and honked.

The woman jumped a few feet off the ground, before saying something to Jim in the truck. It wasn't until she ran to the sidewalk in front of the cafe, that Wesley noticed how unnaturally pale she looked. He watched, mesmerized, as she took a deep breath and pushed the door open and entered the cafe.

The hairs on the back of his neck stood up then, too. Adrenaline surged through his veins. Everything stopped around him. The chatter in the cafe died down to a low murmur. People seemed to be moving in slow motion, and his chest felt like it was being constricted of air. He wasn't sure how long he had been sitting there, dumbfounded and staring, before Mrs. Canry's voice finally broke through.

"Dear, are you certain you're alright?"

His eyes focused back on her old and gentle face sitting across from him. He tried to remember if he had said anything to her while he was captivated by the strange woman. But he didn't remember saying a word. The concern was etched into every line on her face, so Wesley quickly assured her with one of his known-to-be-brilliant smiles. "I'm sorry, Mrs. Canry, my mind is elsewhere."

He glanced over the old woman's shoulder. The strange new woman was ordering a drink at the counter. He tried to shake the feeling that went all the way to his bones. It was like he stuck his finger into a light socket and every nerve in his body was on fire. Alex would probably say he was acting like an overly hormonal teenager. But it took every ounce of his willpower to not go talk to her. He watched as she tossed her long hair over one shoulder, smiling at Bethany behind the counter.