The Fag Swag {7}

“Yep, I quit at math,” I said miserably, letting my pencil drop out of my hand.

                “Nick, don’t give up!” my teacher, Mrs. Pratt, said with a frown, coming over to me. “What don’t you understand?”

                “All of it,” I said with a sigh.

                Mrs. Pratt offered me a bright smile. “Why don’t you come to my room afterschool? I can help you. There might be two or three other kids in here, but I can work more one-on-one time after school,” she said.

                I nodded and gave her a grateful smile. “Okay. Thank you Mrs. Pratt.”

                “No problem Nick!” she said before going over to help a different kid.

                I put my stuff in my bag, realizing that the period was almost over anyways. Any math teacher that could put up with my stupidity deserved an award. I was the absolute worst at math.

                The bell rang and I waited for Molly at the door before we went down the hallway towards our study hall. I shoved Molly and hid behind her as Phil came strolling down the halls.

                He didn’t notice me and walked on by, setting me at ease. He was just too confusing to handle. I couldn’t decide whether he was an asshole, or just some confused kid.

                Molly rolled her eyes as we made it to our study hall. We sat down together and she leaned back in her chair grinning.

                “I would love to tutor you in math Nicky, but I have things to do tonight. Unless you want help right now?”

                I shook my head at her and pouted. “My brain feels like it’s leaking out of my ears. Anymore math right now and I might just go crazy,” I grumbled.

                “Too late,” Molly said and ruffled my hair.

                “Gah! You’re worse than my mother sometimes!” I whined, fixing my hair.

                “Nick, your mother is crazy. But I do love Mama Morgan,” she said and laughed. I sighed, wondering how the hell I could’ve ended up with that for a mother and this for a best friend.

                Life is cruel.

                Lunch rolled around and Molly and I sat outside. I ate quietly, watching Molly suspiciously. Did she have another plan for Phil to attack me? Hell, did Phil even have lunch this period?

                “Stop watching me Nick! I’m not plotting your downfall,” Molly grumbled.

                “Yea, well, you lied to me about Phil not being here. So I’m just being safe,” I said, eating a Dorito and raising an eyebrow at her.

                Molly gave me a sly grin. “Okay, maybe I AM plotting your downfall. Or maybe I’m just helping you toughen up via an incredibly hot guy. Whichever way you chose to see it is your problem.”

                “I see my death at his hands a problem,” I mumbled. I sighed, turning serious. “I really think he’s unstable, Molly. Just look at the way he acts. There’s something…wrong. Something about him is definitely wrong.”

                Molly shrugged. “Angel would’ve told me if he was unstable, Nick. So calm down. You’ll be fine,” she said, playfully punching my shoulder.