Chapter 19 : Well Shoot

"I've just made a deal that'll keep the Empire out of here forever." Lando's voice was strangely solemn as he pressed the buttons on the panel by the door. All four of them looked at Lando quizzically as the door slid open. A sudden cold feeling of fear washed over Tasha before she even turned around, and she subconsciously knew what she would see. her grip tightened on Han's arm and he looked at her before he turned around, a worried frown on his face quickly turning to fear and then to determination as he pulls out his blaster and fired. At Darth Vader.

The Sith didn't seem overly concerned about the surprise attack, simply lifting his hand and absorbing the lazer bolts before making Han's blaster literally fly into his hand. Tasha reached out her hand to pull it back, causing it to smash into a nearby wall with such force that it broke apart in a collection of sparks. Han moved his arm from Tasha's grip, instead lacing his fingers with hers, looking down at her with an expression of apology. Tasha squeezed his hand, the affection feeling foreign to her, but then again, it did feel unwelcome or uncomfortable. In fact at that moment it was perhaps the best thing he could've done for her: given her something to hold on to.

"I'm sorry, I had no choice," said Lando, "they arrived right before you did." Han and Tasha exchanged a look of illumination. So that was what it was that she had sensed. Boba Fett, the famous bounty hunter appeared from the shadows at Vader's side, his blaster raised, not enough to threaten, but just enough to let them know it was there. Han squeezed Tasha's hand again.

"I'm sorry too," he said. They stepped into the room, together, and the door slid shut behind them, trapping them in the room with Vader and the bounty hunter.

***

"Tasha, its nice to see you again," said Vader's mechanical voice said after a few moments of worrying silence. Almost everyone in the room jumped slightly as his voice cut through the tense atmosphere. The raven girl scoffed slightly, releasing the smuggler's hand to cross her arms across her chest defensively as she glared at Vader, her eyes full of her cold fury.

"I wish I could say the same," she said, "but seeing as how you're a monster with bad fashion sense I cant honestly say it is." Han smirked slightly, casting a quick glance towards the girl.

"you're terrified," said Vader, his words catching Tasha off guard.

"what?" she spluttered, scrunching up her eyebrows slightly, her scowl slipping slightly, "I'm not afraid of you."

"not of me, no," the masked figure replied, with what sounded like a modulated chuckle, "you're scared of yourself." The girl froze, her jaw tightening slightly.

"I don't know what you're talking about." she spat. She felt that presence on her mind again.

"they don't know about your past, do they?" Tasha glanced at the ground quickly, her jaw clenched as she tried not to say something stupid.

"they know enough!" she spat back, and Vader let out a chuckle.

"they know you tried to kill me . . . ? that You're a monster?" Tasha opened and closed her mouth as Han stared at her. there really wasn't any cutting come back you can make for that. it wasn't like it wasn't true either. Han looked at Tasha as though he was seeing her for the first time.

To be honest though, Han had no idea who to believe at this point. Tasha just didn't seem like the sort of person to try and murder someone, regardless of how angry she was or how much she hated them. it's funny that Han was thinking about those words, as Tasha was thinking about the exact same things, the connections finally being made. That voice . . .

"Its you!" she shouted suddenly, startling everyone as her eyes sparked dangerously, "you're the one who has been projecting those words, that poison into my head."

"oh well done, Tasha, full credit, although I have to confess . . . those words were already there . . . I just amplified them." Tasha looked down at the floor, her jaw so tense Han thought she was going to strain something, "I'm glad you know what you are though, especially now you are about to watch your friends die for you."

Her raven head snapped up, and several of the guards surrounding them flew into the walls around them, Tasha's eyes flashing gold in uncontrolled terror.

"WHAT!" she screamed out as some more stormtroopers appeared at her arms, restraining her. Tasha started kicking out at them, writhing and struggling as they pulled her away, watching Han and Leia's terrified eyes. She was supposed to protect them. No. NO. Chewie's fearful howl was the last thing she heard before, with a sharp whack to the head, everything went black.

"Tasha!" Han shouted out as the stormtrooper hit the raven-girl on the head and her shining eyes rolled shut. He tried to lunge for the stormtrooper that had hit her, but Leia pulled him back with a firm hand on his arm.

"stop," she hissed in his ear. Han looked down at her, expecting to see a cold look on her face, but instead her eyes were frozen on Tasha as she was now quite literally dragged out.

"now that she's out of the way," said Vader, as he gestured to the table, "we'd be honoured if you'd join us."

Han gulped. He didn't like this, especially after what Vader had just told Tasha.

"you're gonna kill us anyway, why the hell should we do anything for you?" spat Leia, with much more venom than Han had given her credit for possessing.

"that was for Tasha's benefit," said Vader, gesturing to the door Tasha had just disappeared through. none of the heroes moved. "I would very much like to not have to follow through with it."

Han and Leia exchanged a look, both knowing they had no choice and walked through the door.