i love you

( obsidian! )

( obsidian! )

This was written before Infinity War released, so it's one of the other universes Stephen saw, and not the main one.

•••

Steve's hands cupped the side of Y/N's face, his thumbs gently brushed away strands of her hair as he bent to stare into her eyes. His voice was shaky as he whispered, "I love you."

Y/N slunk her hands around his neck, pulling him closer until his lips were inches away from hers. "I love you too." She kissed him, first softly, and then with urgency, only stopping when Stephen cleared his throat loudly. "Please, don't do anything stupid while I'm gone."

Steve chuckled, kissed her forehead and then stood up straight. He glanced at Stephen, and then back at Y/N. "Stay safe."

Stephen scoffed as he made his way to sit next to Y/N. "The only one's who will need safety when we're gone is you and the team." He muttered something under his breath, words Steve didn't understand, and then his hands started to glow as strange symbols took to the air. "Remember, if anything happens to our bodies when we're gone, we will be pulled back to the present."

Steve nodded firmly. "Get us the answers we need to end this."

Y/N gave Steve one last smile, and then took Stephens outstretched hand. The light grew bright, encasing her and Stephen, and then there bodies slumped backwards onto the bed.

Steve propped up Y/N's head with a pillow, as he took a seat beside her. "I hope this works."

...

When Y/N opened her eyes again, she was no longer on the Milano. Her eyes were met with bright rays of sunlight, and the lull of snores drifted into her ears. She tried to sit up, but a heavy arm that was wrapped around her waist pulled her back down.

She squirmed in the tight grip, turning until she could see the person asleep beside her. Her breath caught in her throat. "Steve."

"Y/N," he mumbled back, half awake. "It's not time to wake up yet. Go back to sleep."

Y/N's hand reached up to stroke his cheek, and he leaned into her touch with a content sigh. Her heart swelled to see him look so happy, so at peace. And then realization struck her like lightning. They had did it. They had ended the attack. A small sob escaped her lips as tears ran down her face.

Steve's eyes fluttered open, concern flashing in them as he raised an eyebrow. "Honey, why are you crying?" He brushed away her tears with his thumb, his eyebrows creasing together as Y/N smiled through her tears.

"I'm crying because I'm happy, Steve. After all we've been through, we get a happy ending."

He gave a soft laugh, and her smile grew bigger at the sound of it. She hadn't heard him laugh in so long.