The path to the beach was short and sandy. I pulled off my boots and socks, hopping on one foot as I made my way as close to the water as I could without touching it. The undertow was dangerous here, so I didn't dare swim, but I would if I could. Sometimes I wondered if it would be easier to let the pull of the ocean drag me away, end everything-wondering if the next life was better than this one. Maybe there was a place beyond here where there wasn't monsters, or we didn't need sleep, or I could spend the entire day on the freeway. Or maybe there was nothing, just the end. Somedays that didn't seem so bad.

The sand was still warm from the sun, easing between my toes and wrapping around my heels, hindering my steps with little hugs, welcoming me to its home. Settling myself at the edge of the water, I scootched back enough that the waves brushed my toes but didn't catch me. Not yet. I shoved my thoughts aside, letting the scenery wash over me. Flopping onto my back I looked at the stars, picking out the North star easily then the surrounding constellations. As a child the stars had been my only constant, and I loved them. I wriggled in place, hollowing the sand so my shoulders and butt sat in a groove, letting it envelope my ribs. I heard a car engine faintly grow closer than cut, and I wondered what other idiot was out this late-not that it mattered. I'd never seen someone else here though, and hoped they didn't think me easy prey. I did a mental check, noting the short blade that hung on a cord between my breasts as well as my shoulder blade that was thin with a flat handle, held with a reinforced bra strap. Another lay horizontal at my waist, yet another apart of my belt buckle while two more were in each boot, tucked to the sides of my ankles. I wished I had my arm guards, and my firearms, but it was stupid to be fully armed in public. People had a tendency to freak when a little blond thing pulled guns when startled.... Not that I startled easily.

Voices were coming down the beach, male voices. One was heavily accented, probably European-while the other two were nearly identical with smooth tenor tones. One was.... Darker, though. I don't know how, since the sound was the same-but there was something behind it that carried a weight the other didn't. I thought I heard the rumble of a bike pulling in, but couldn't be sure. As they grew closer I started to be able to make them out.

"Why are we here again?" Dark tenor asked, sounding exasperated.

"Silas needs help with North and we're the only ones available." Twin voice answered patiently.

"He's been off for a week now-it doesn't help that he and Luke think they found her this morning." Europe boy chimed. I wondered who they were looking for, and if I could help-I did have a few skills after all.

"Raven says he found her place of work earlier, but isn't sure if she'll still be working there. She stormed out pretty quick and looked really pissed. He tried to follow her but she was on foot and fast as a teen boy blowing his-"

"I'm the one with cheesy lines. Don't work for you." Europe boy cut off Dark Tenor, and I smirked. It really was about to get dirty. Light Tenor chuckled, and I liked the sound. I wanted to put a face to the name, but laying here felt really good. The surf picked up again as a barge went by, having been deceptively calm for the last little bit. I could only catch a word here and there after that, so didn't bother to listen.

I don't know how much time passed, my eyes drifting shut as the water came to lap at my ankles, the tide rising, but when the breeze suddenly ceased from my face as though blocked, still feeling it on my legs through my pants, I was instantly alert. My eyes shot open and my hand went to the cord around my neck, but the concern on the face standing over me made me pause. No one had looked at me like that before, not outside the Dreamscapes. His hair was black, his eyes nearly black-though with the lighting it was hard to tell. They were dark pools of concern.