4 | Rising

A/N: I know you've all been wondering what's happened to that blonde woman who washed up behind the five Riders on the beach that fateful day - and to get a glimpse of the cycle's main character. But don't forget that if you become the 750th voter of Destiny, 40th of Niaomi, 150th fan (which is only one away!), or answer the TQ on "Destined Love" in TCoA, you get the chance to choose from an awesome list of prizes that now includes A SNEAK PEEK OF VOLUME TWO! :D

Picture of Rosaminda up above.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

She knelt down and examined the large flattened square of grass, her cold hazelnut eyes narrowed as they examined the surroundings. The glade showed other signs of residence: paths worn into the terrain, crushed limbs and trampled brush as if huge beasts had passed through. A gleam from one broken branch caught her eye, and she walked forwards to find a long blonde strand. Its color matched her own hair, but the woman hadn't come from this direction.

"They were here," she whispered softly to herself, her fingers pushing up the sleeve of her black dress to stroke the golden serpent that wound around her arm in the form of a bracelet. "Sé orúm thornessa hávr sharjalví lífs."

With those words, a ripple went through the snake, the sheen of its body changing as scales rose and the serpent became alive. Flickering its tongue, it unraveled itself from her arm so that it could meet her gaze with glittering obsidian eyes. Kuniva, the first of the twin snake familiars, at your service, mistress.

"Mummy needs you to find her two nieces and their friends," the woman cooed, her poison red lips twisting upwards in a wicked grin. "Her little boy can handle that, can't you?"

Of course, Kuniva agreed, slithering down to the ground as she lowered her hand. What shall you have me do when I find them?

"Oh, don't worry, Kuniva darling. Mummy will take care of the rest."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

She was back on Alalëa, in the clearing where they'd had their birthday party, and everyone was there: the darksnakes and the satyrs, the unicorns and the nymphs, the mistwolves and the fairies. And they were there, too. He, with his dark beard and sparkling brown eyes; she, with her long silver hair and bright white smile. Tears blinded her vision as she rushed forwards to wrap her arms around them tight, breathing in the smell of crushed pines that was her mother and the spicy scent that was her father's. But suddenly, there was nothing in her grip. Her stockings ripped as she fell onto her knees and wildly searched around.

Everyone else was gone except for the two werecats. Fleetfoot's yellow eyes pinned her in place as she asked, "Where did they go? Where did they go?!"

You are the link for the Riders, Seer, was all they said in reply.

"Tell me where they are!"

The talent you possess is great, and must be used to instill courage in the Leader for the times you all will face.

"I don't want to hear anymore!" she pleaded frantically, pressing her hands to the sides of her head. "Mor, where are you? Far! Faði!"

It did nothing to cover her ears, for their voices whispered directly into her mind. Fleetfoot's tone was grave and critical, and she knew he was disappointed in her even as he said, As you know, the Destroyer grows anxious in his quest for dominance of this world.

She tried to look away, but she couldn't. Her eyes were fixated on the two, the tears in her swirling violet depths only making the silver flecks within them gleam brighter. "Mor!" she screamed. "Far! I need you!"