|Twenty-eight|

???

Marcus was awoken by the clanging noise. He was surprised by what he saw when his eyes opened. It was not the white walls that he had come accustomed to. He was seated on the floor against a wall. The air smelled musty. The walls and floor were falling apart. It was a place he had been before.

He heard a creaking sound, and the door opened. A man walked into the room. He came close to Marcus and knelt down next to him. Marcus looked up into the man's eyes.

"Dr Franklin?"

"Yes, I'm sorry it had to be this way. I know you're confused and scared but there is a logical explanation." He smiled, "When I realized the connection between you and Johanna, I had to test it in private. Now I can."

He wondered if this was a dream. He couldn't move his limbs. It was clear that he had only experienced bits and pieces of the state she was in.

"When I treated you and her as children the power surged while you were connected to the equipment. That incident must have given you a direct link to her. It was untapped until she saw you at school."

The psychotic doctor in front of him was worse than any nightmare. Even so, tears eluded him.

"I knew there would be side effects. However, I could never have foreseen this outcome." The doctor paced the room.

His eyes stayed on the doctor. His neck would not swivel, but he was still able to control his vision.

"Backlash was unavoidable. I cooked both of your brains. I made a note in your medical files. It said to contact me if either of you were brought to the nurse." He stopped pacing and took big steps toward Marcus, "Once I had her, it was easy work getting you back as well."

He was numb. His ability to move his body in any way was gone. His senses faded.

"I always knew this day would come."
A smile formed on Wesley's lips, "I'm going to fill you in on a few things. I know you saw the red room, that is my favorite experiment. I read that the color red can cause rage and possibly insanity with prolonged exposure." He leaned against the wall and slid to the floor next to Marcus. "What if over exposure is a remedy for nightmares? How will we ever know if we don't perform proper research?"

The doctors' words were poisonous snakes that slithered inside of Marcus's brain. It became his inner monologue as his vision tunneled.

"I hated lying to your mother. I said you had a stroke. I'm not one for emotions. I'm sure that's why she didn't question it."

The news that his mother thought he was deceased pierced through him. A single tear streamed down his cheek.

Dr. Franklin stood from the ground and brushed off his pants. "This was nice. We will have more time to talk later." He walked to the door and opened it, "Don't be sad, Marcus. I promise, I'll never let you die. Have a good night." He closed the door behind him.

The door locked with a click. There was a humming sound. A red light flickered on.

(Edited)