18.1 || Unrestful Night

THEY FOUND A cave almost a mile away, and they collapsed inside. The sun didn't swelter like Josh had expected, but its constant rays hadn't provided them with a moment of respite.

Mara went to work. She created crystals that rested on Josh's leg, cooling the irritated skin. From there, she crafted three glasses of ice and melted her own magic to create water.

"That's handy," Josh said as he took his glass. The ice stung, but it was nothing he couldn't handle.

"Not much help in battle, and it's cold enough that it isn't fun to drink, but it's something." Mara handed Cale a glass before sipping from her own.

Josh relished the water. It bit at his throat, but it also provided relief.

Cale stared out into the desert, shifting his glass in his hand. He sighed before downing the water in one gulp. He tossed the now-empty glass aside and relaxed against the wall. The ice shattered upon contact with the ground.

Josh's throat grew dry once more, but this time it had nothing to do with the desert air. He spared the outside a quick glance before looking down at the crystals coating his leg.

"Where are we?" he asked.

The question seemed to drain Cale further. "My guess? The pocket dimension where the seal is. Not that this looks much like a temple, but it would explain a monster so old that Ezraim didn't know it."

Mara's brows drew together. "So, the Shadow Knights did it. They found the right spot for the portal. But why didn't we see them?"

"Maybe a monster louse ate them," Cale grumbled. With a groan, he massaged his temples with the heels of his palms. "I don't know, Samara. Most people don't go through portals while they're closing. When they don't have a solid hold keeping them open, they're unstable."

He didn't speak it as a jab, but Mara still winced. "What do we do now?" she asked.

Cale turned to Josh, his stare boring into him. Josh sat up a little straighter. His body warmed, the potential reason for the stare reigniting the tension from before. No, Cale was not going to do this to him.

"You won't listen if I say we wait here."

The fight faded from Josh's system instantly. Cale held no venom in his voice, not like usual. It had been replaced with an exhaustion born from doing everything in his power to save all their lives.

He averted his gaze. "Eli and Xander are out there. They need help."

"We know nothing about where we are, and we don't know if anyone can reach us. Neither Mara nor I are fully trained Paladins, and you are still new. Eli is with a dozen Shadow Knights, and Xander won't be able to help us," Cale said.

Josh gulped. "I know."

"Trying is suicide."

"Doing nothing is wrong."

A beat of silence followed. Despite what Josh said, the weight of Cale's words pressed down on his shoulders. They had nothing in their favor and an entire pocket dimension against them.

Eli's panicked glance moments before Peter tossed him into the portal rushed to the forefront of Josh's mind.

Boomer's discontent trickled through the bond. Josh glanced down at his clenched fist and mentally sighed.

What am I supposed to do, Boomer? he asked.

I know, Boomer whispered. I want Eli and Xander back, too. But Cale is right. You... All of you are still learning. I wish that stupid portal had opened anywhere else.