|Twenty|

June, 1987
Fairview, Pennsylvania

Marcus could see a tall silhouette through the beige translucent blinds that were hung on the picture window. Through the opening in the middle, he was positive he had seen something pass by.

He waited by the front entrance. Not so close that he would crowd his father when he walked in. After a long shift of keeping the people of Fairview safe, his father wanted to relax. He was close enough that he could pounce on him to squeeze him in his arms. He fidgeted and twitched. His patience wore thin.

The door opened and a beam of light from outside blinded him. He shielded his eyes with his arm. He stumbled back and waited.

He jumped up for a hug. It only took a second for the putrid odor of mold to reach his nostrils. His arms recoiled. He staggered back. He looked over the thing he thought was his father. The face was missing most of its skin. Flaps hung from the bone. The shreds of flesh dripped blood onto the carpet.

Maggots squirmed in the vacant eye sockets. They wiggled free and poured out onto the floor. One of his ears was torn off. The other ear dangled on a thin ribbon of skin.

The rancid and decayed figure took a small step toward Marcus. The maggots popped beneath the intruders' feet.

Marcus fell off of his bed and woke on the floor in a puddle of his own tears.

(Edited)