Chapter 11 - We'll Be Safe

Daniel rushed along the street and walked up along the driveway of Aidelle's house, sneaking around the back way. He jumped up over a wooden fence and toppled onto the ground, groaning as he picked himself back up and slung the bag back over his shoulder.

Looking up, he saw Aidelle looking at him through a window in front of him. She gasped, pulling it open, a smile spread across her face.

"Dan!" She exclaimed, leaning out of the window and hugging him tightly.

"Hey Aidelle," he whispered.

"Come in!" she let go of him and beckoned him to climb in through the window.

He lifted his leg over the windowsill and swung his body inside, knocking something with his foot as he lost his balance, falling to the wooden floor with a loud thump.

Daniel groaned and slowly got up again, aching more, still recovering from his topple over the fence. He bent up straight and looked at Aidelle, who was staring back at him, surprised.

"What are you doing here? And where have you been?" Aidelle asked him curiously.

"We have to go," Daniel panted, evading her question.

"What?"

"Pack some things, we have to get out of here. It's not safe here any more. People will be coming for you Aidelle, because you know me."

"What do you mean? I can't-"

"Listen to me. There's no time for arguing. We have to leave, right now. It's not safe any more, it never was. I'm not safe here, you're not safe here, it's all because of me," he interrupted her, panicking.

"What do you mean?" Aidelle's terrified eyes locked on to him.

"Something happened while I was gone. The government's going to be knocking on your doorstep any time soon now."

"What happened? Why will they be coming for me?" Her voice trembled as she asked in fear.

"I'll tell you later, but we have to leave. We aren't safe and we're making our chances of safety riskier by staying here and talking."

"But if I go with you, then they'll find me when they find you!"

Daniel placed his hands on either of Aidelle's shoulders, attempting to comfort her.

"They won't find us. We'll run until we're safe. I promise. Please, come with me," he pleaded.

Aidelle broke her gaze from Daniel, turning her head to the side and looking down.

"I'll go pack some thing," she said as a tear trickled down her cheek.

Daniel pulled her into his chest, holding her tightly and swaying sidewards gently.

"I promise you that we will be alright, and I promise nothing bad will ever happen to either of us," he reassured her.

"Do you promise?"

"I promise."

Aidelle smiled weakly at him and let go of his embrace, turning around to get a bag from her cupboard and placing it on her bed, putting some clothes and other essentials into it, before zipping it up. Daniel and Aidelle both froze as her bedroom door began to slowly creak open, and footsteps could be heard making their way through the doorway.

"Aidy?" Emily's little voice whispered.

"Yeah?" Aidelle whispered in reply.

"What are you and Dan doing?"

Aidelle took a deep breath and knelt down in front of her little sister, before answering her question.

"Me and Dan are going somewhere for a little while, okay? We'll be back soon, so don't worry, alright?" She sniffed as she spoke to her sister.

"Okay, will you be back?"

"Of course I will be," Aidelle replied, laughing lightly, her eyes welling up with tears.

"Pinky promise?" Emily asked, as she held out her finger in the dark.

"Pinky promise," Aidelle could feel the tears slowly rolling down her cheeks as she gripped her little sisters finger, and shook it.

Aidelle pulled Emily towards her, hugging her tightly, and she got up, taking the bag from her bed.

"I'll be back soon bubby. I love you, tell Mum and Zoe, and if Dad gets back before I do, that I love them too," she choked back tears and sniffed as she waved goodbye to her sister.

Daniel paled when she mentioned her dad, and the two of them exited out through Aidelle's bedroom window, and disappeared into the night.

Walking up to the fence, Daniel helped push Aidelle over it before she dropped down the other side, and he pulled himself up over it after her. They began making their way down the street, the bags swinging and hitting against their backs as they walked at a fast pace.

"Dan, where have you been?" Aidelle asked, as the two of them walked down the street in the shadows.

"I can't tell you yet, but you probably won't believe me if I do tell you," he replied cautiously.

"Well, when will you tell me?"

"When we're safe."