Epilogue

*Dan's POV*

"Phil, come on, our parents are here." I whined, playfully shoving Phil's wandering hands away from my stomach. He wasn't even being particularly touchy, mostly just trying to snuggle me to his chest, but with this many people in the room I still felt the slightest bit self-conscious.

"Sorry, you're just so much fun to show off." He apologized immediately, pressing a kiss to the nape of my neck. I rolled my eyes at him, relaxing hesitantly back into his lap, my back pressed to his front. "How are you handling all this? Not too overwhelmed?"

I smiled to myself, not at all surprised by the question. It wasn't exactly the first time he'd asked me something of that manner tonight, though it was probably the most blunt he'd been about it. It was just one of the many reasons I loved him, that even after all these years he was still so careful about knowing my limits and accommodating for them. My anxiety was nowhere near where it used to be, but still he was constantly checking in with me like this.

Luckily for the both of us, right now was one of the few times where I wasn't actually bothered by the noise or the crowds surrounding us. I felt completely at home, and that was only partially because the party was taking place in Phil and I's house. I knew every single guest, had grown impossibly closer to each of them over the past few years. Some were Phil's friends from before we'd met, some were family, some were new friends made through the gaming store, and some were close enough that they could be considered family despite the lack of blood relation.

Besides, they were all here celebrating me anyway... or, well, my relationship.

I turned in Phil's hold, grabbing his hand and lifting it up to my lips. Any wandering thoughts of potential bystanders forgotten, I placed a chaste kiss to the engagement ring on his finger. He stared back at me, a lazy grin stretching across his lips as fondness shone in his eyes.

"I'm good." I assured him, "I might slip into the kitchen to grab some refills. Think you can handle letting me out of your sight for that long?"

"Debatable, but I do need a refill." Phil sighed dramatically, making a big show of how reluctant he was to tear his hands away from my hips. I shook my head, squirming away from him and jumping up. He sunk back into the cushions in my absence, staring up at me. "Hurry back to me."

I turned to leave, trying to fight the urge to smile at his antics. As I turned away, I caught the beginning of a conversation between him and Louise, something about the manner of nerdy things that Phil had decorated our house with. I'd given my best effort to try and push a simplistic, modern style onto the new dwelling, but he was insistent. If I took the time to really look, I'd probably find cat stickers pressed onto the walls around the place.

I slipped through the small groups of people with ease, aside from the occasional acknowledgement and congratulations as I walked past. It was a little strange having this many people celebrate something as simple as the fact that Phil and I had officially confirmed we wanted to spend the rest of our lives together, especially when I'd figured anyone close to us would have figured that out years ago.

We'd been inseparable for as long as I could remember now, surely no one had been expecting that to change.

The kitchen was noticeably quieter, the majority of the party taking place in the lounge where there was more room to move around. I easily walked across the room to where the liquor was, filling up the pair of empty glasses I'd brought with me. I was just screwing the cap back on when a quiet gargle of a noise had me turning around, eyes wide.

I hadn't even noticed someone else in the room during my walk in, but the brief moment of worry was quickly forgotten as my gaze fell on my mother. She was sitting at the table, my younger brother cuddled up in her arms. I crossed the room to settle in the chair across from hers, drinks momentarily forgotten.