fifty three

"What's gonna be left of the world if you're not in it?"

AT THE BOTTOM OF EVERYTHING by BRIGHT EYES • SATURN by SLEEPING AT LAST • SO COLD by BEN COCKS • HOLD ON by CHORD OVERSTREET • HOME by THE CINEMATIC ORCHESTRA • LEAVE A LIGHT ON (ACOUSTIC) by TOM WALKER • CAN'T HELP FALLING IN LOVE cover by MARISS...

AT THE BOTTOM OF EVERYTHING by BRIGHT EYES • SATURN by SLEEPING AT LAST • SO COLD by BEN COCKS • HOLD ON by CHORD OVERSTREET • HOME by THE CINEMATIC ORCHESTRA • LEAVE A LIGHT ON (ACOUSTIC) by TOM WALKER • CAN'T HELP FALLING IN LOVE cover by MARISSA PELLIS •

***

As soon as we got back from the woods, completing Siddiq's rescue mission, we sat in front of the entrance to the sewer.

Siddiq looked hesitantly into the black hole and back to the clean town as if saying, 'do I have to do this?' Carl noticed the look and spoke.

"It's just 'til I can talk to my dad," he said before climbing down.

Siddiq looked to me for help, but I just shrugged my shoulders and gave a cheeky smile before following Carl down.

***

"Thank you for watching her," I thanked Tobin and took Judy in my arms. He nodded and smiled as I walked over to our house.

"Let's go see what big brother Carl is doing, huh?" I asked happily as she tugged my drying hair from the shower I had taken.

I walked into the house with Judy on my hip, and she was instantly grabbing for one of her toys, so I took that as a cue to put her down in the baby-proofed living room.

"I'll be right back, okay?" I told her as she babbled away.

I heard the shower running and wanted to check on Carl, so I made my way upstairs. Not even thinking to knock, I opened the door slowly, but it was slammed shut in my face.

"Uh, you okay?" I laughed, not knowing why he did that.

"Y-yeah. Fine. I'll be out soon," he stuttered, and I heard the lock click shut.

Shaking my head, I made my way downstairs again and played with Judy until Carl came out.

"I'm going to check in Siddiq, give him a few things. You guys, okay? I'll be quick," The now spotless Carl said while gathering some things.

"We're good," I smiled as he came over to say bye.

He lifted my chin and looked into my eyes before kissing me, harder than usual, though I wasn't complaining. He pulled away and gave me one more peck before looking into my eyes.

"I love you."

***

I sat on the porch rocking in the chair with Judith in my lap as we patiently waited for Carl. Her face, along with mine, lit up at the sight of the freckled long-haired boy. He ascended the stairs with a smile on his face and a Polaroid camera in his hand. It was the one Rick had used to take photos of the destroyed saviour compound.