Chapter 1: Unwanted Surprises

Chapter 1

The phone rang, waking me up to the darkness of 2:46 AM on December 27th. Cars rushed pass the apartment rumbling my bedside table, and every once and a while making my alarm clock fall off. It rang again, as I sat straight up.

I had fallen asleep completing resumes for St. Vincent's, and Mercy Hospitals. I stretched, cracking my stiff bones. I grabbed the silver phone into my hot pink painted fingernail, hand. "Hello?" I said answering it tiredly.

"Hey! Where are you I finally landed, I thought you were picking me up!" yelled a familiar voice

"Amanda?"

"Who else do you know that's flying home from Italy today?"

"I didn't know I was picking you up"

"God Damn it Lynne!" She yelled "Lynne was suppose to but she said she would tell you when you guys went to lunch on Wednesday.

"Nope but the airport is 15 minutes away. I'll be there soon. Who did you fly with?"

"My boyfriend"

"Well I know that dummy, I mean what airline?" I said heading to my room.

"Oh, Continental, I am at the very last airline in the strip outside. Come really quick because I am super hungry, I want to make some of this pasta that I brought home."

"Ok I am getting on some jeans" I heard a gasp

"Sphven Michelle Hollocomb, were you just in bed with a man?"

"No, I'll be there in a minute." I hung up and took a deep breath

The snow fell silently over my new red 2010 Lancer Sportback that I won at the mall. That was the most exciting thing I have had happen to me over the past 6 years other than graduating from medical school. I turned on the radio, "This is for all you couples out there in love" The song, 'You and Me' By Dave Matthews came on. That was my most favorite song in the whole world!

I pulled up to the a red light, I called it the never ending, never beginning stop light, because i would sit there for 2 minutes straight, no joke. I started to sing loudly and dance as much as I could while I sat there waiting. Then an old, golden yellow Pinto pulls up next to me. I didn't notice it until I smacked my hand on the roof of the car, as I emphatically danced. I saw a really hot tan man sitting there staring and smiling brightly. He rolled down his window. Embarrassed I rolled down my window too.

"Nice dancing," came a thick Greek accent.

"Sorry, I get bored sitting at lights,"

"I can see," He said, the light turned green, "Well I better go, or I'll miss my flight.

"Bye," I said dreamily and took off. When I looked in my rear view mirror I saw the man outside his car wafting away smoke from his open hood. I slowed down on the street. No other car was around on the 5-lane road. I did a big u-turn and headed back.

We pulled up to the airport in front of the place where Amanda would be. "Well bye Kairos, it was really nice to meet you."

"Nice to meet you too Sphven. And thanks again for the ride I really appreciate it" I smiled at him as he got out,

"You can leave the door open my friend is right there."

"Hello!" said Amanda as she looked at Kairos

"Hi" He responded. He waved one last goodbye to me and I smiled.

"Sphven!" yelled Amanda, I popped the trunk and got out.

"Amanda!" Said running over and hugging her "How was the flight?"

"Great, Great...Oh I want you to meet my boyfriend, Angelo,"

"Hello Angelo, I am..." I got cut off

"Sphven, I have heard a lot about you"

"Sphven, I have to tell you something but you can't tell anyone. Angelo is my fiancé!"

"WHAT!" I screamed, hugging Amanda and jumping up and down. I looked at Angelo, about to shake his hand but then gave him a hug. Then a police officer came up to us.

"Excuse me mama' you are idling you need to get back in your car."

"Sorry office"

"Thank you," says Angelo

"Alright, you heard him, get in" She said

I had to explain to Amanda three times that I didn't sleep with Kairos and the reason why I gave him a ride was because his car broke down... She didn't believe me.