Chapter one

5 years earlier

Rose POV

I was going to miss this so much. I was lying in bed with my brother Matt and I's best friend Dylan. No it wasn't like that. We're just friends. It's been like this for ten years, since I was six and Dylan and Matt were 8. Dylan would come over to play video games with Matt and sleep over, but he would always somehow end up with me. I would always go to bed first as I was never good at staying up as late as they did. There was usually some reason he would stay with me like Matt snored too loud or thunder was keeping me up and I didn't want to be alone. Most of the time though he would just come wake me up to talk and we would end up falling asleep. Then, as time passed, it just became a routine. Him and Matt would play Call of Duty or whatever then, after Matt fell asleep, he would stay with me. We got so used to sleeping together I think it would be to weird not to.

I looked at the clock next to us showing that it was 1:00AM. Like I said, I am not usually good at staying up late but this might be the last time I saw him, at least for a while. My family was moving tomorrow to Ohio. I didn't want to move. I loved it here in California where I could go to the ocean any time I wanted and eat amazing seafood. Ohio does not have amazing seafood. It also doesn't have Dylan.

"The next time I see you your hair better be longer." I teased him. His hair was always buzzed so short and I constantly told him he should grow it out.

"Ugh, Rose it's always so hot here though and it's so easy when I cut it off." He replied playing with a strand of my long, brown hair. "You take forever to deal with your long hair I'm a guy we don't like to spend time on stuff like that"

"Dylan you wouldn't be growing it out as long as mine! Come on, please? For me as a going away present?" I gave him a puppy dog look with my big, brown eyes looking into his hazel ones which always seemed to work.

He chuckled "We'll see. How about I grow it out if you guys don't leave."

I sighed and looked at my hands. "You know I can't do that. If there was any way I could stay I would. I love it here so much."

Dylan POV

This is killing me. Why did she have to leave tomorrow? And she was moving all the way across the country where I most likely would never see her again. I loved Rose. I've loved her since I met her when my family moved here when I was eight. Matt and I became fast friends and whenever we would hang out I would always say I wanted to sleep over his house or play videogames at his place instead of mine just so I could see her. Rose and I became friends too, but I always wanted more. We always ended up sleeping in the same bed which was a special kind of torture to me as I always wanted to take things to the next level, but I couldn't bear to lose her completely and, if she didn't feel the same, that's what would inevitably happen. Normally we fell asleep together easily. Now though it was one in the morning and neither of us could.

"The next time I see you your hair better be longer" she teased me, poking at my chest to be more affective. She always bugged me about growing out my hair. I never did because I always found it funny and cute that it bothered her so much but, if it would make her stay, I would do it in a heartbeat. I would do anything.

"Ugh, Rose it's always so hot here though and it's so easy when I cut it off." I replied teasing her while playing with a strand of her soft hair. I loved playing with her hair it always calmed me down. "You take forever to deal with your long hair I'm a guy we don't like to spend time on stuff like that."

"Dylan you wouldn't be growing it out as long as mine! Come on, please? For me as a going away present?" she made puppy dog eyes at me which never failed to make me do whatever she wanted. When she looked at me like that I wished I could kiss her more than anything in the world, but I couldn't. We were just friends.

I chuckled "We'll see. How about I grow it out if you guys don't leave."

She sighed and looked down at her hands. "You know I can't do that. If there was any way I could stay I would. I love it here so much."

I hated that she was so upset. I saw her eyes starting to glisten with unshed tears. I wished I could kiss away those tears. I wish I could hold her close and tell her she didn't have to go that she could stay here with me and we would be together. Instead I wiped her tears away with my hand and told her we should try to get some sleep. Tonight was the last night for me to make a move, tell her how in love with her I am. But no, I can't bring myself to do it. Now she's going to meet some amazing guy in Ohio who'll sweep her off her feet like I should have while I sit here alone pining. Sometimes life just sucks.

So what do you guys think? I'm really excited about this story! My goal is to post weekly but we will see how things go. The more feedback I get the more motivated I am to write to please please please leave me comments! The next chapter will be 5 years later (the present) <3