Chapter 12

"WHAT!?" I did intend for that to come out as a yell, but I was shocked. I really didn't know what else to do or say at that moment. I had thought all this time I had no living relatives, but now I find out that Ella is my aunt. This would explain why she looks and sounds like my biological mom.

"Now listen to me Lizzy, I.." Ella began

I then stopped listening to her. My head began to pound and I groaned. "Do you have anything I can take for this headache?"

She abruptly shut her mouth, surprised by my irrelevent question. "Oh hunny, I'll be right back." As she walked past she rubbed my shoulder while I sat with my forehead resting in my palm.

She returned with a bottle of asprin and set it down on the table in front of me. She rubbed my back before returning to her seat across the table. I shook two pills into my palm from the bottle and put them in my mouth. I took my glass of water and swallowed.

Ella watched me and nodded her head violently. "You and Jaden both have those horrible headaches. You get it from your mom."

"Why didn't anybody tell me about you?" I blurted out.

Ella sighed. "Nobody knew. Your mom and I weren't exactly close, but I'd do anything for her." I ran my fingers against the glass filled with water. "The accident was in the newspaper the following morning. I still have it somewhere in this place." She glanced around. "I saw your mother and father's name and I knew they had two children." She paused. "I didn't hesitate to call the hospital and ask about you guys. I talked to several social workers and the adoption angency. I was gonna take you both." Ella stopped again and sniffled.

I waited for her to continue and she finally did. "I was gonna adopt you and Jaden but the adoption agency was being so picky! They said I didn't make enough money to provide for two kids so I could only take one of you." Tears began falling down Ella's face.

I looked around and saw a box of tissues down the hallway in the living room. The chair creaked as I quickly got up to get the box and bring it to her. She dabbed at her eyes, but continued to sob.

"Thank you sweetie." She said between sobs. "I fought and fought to have you both, but they just would not let me. I had to choose. The reason why I took Jaden was because he was so young. The agency said it would be easier since he most likely won't remember anything. But in the hospital all Jaden kept saying was 'Izzy, Izzy' and it killed me to leave you behind."

Ella sighed. "Ever since then not a day went by that I did not think about you. Where you were, if you were being fed. Even when I got that phone call about you, I was thinking about how much you must have grown earlier that day." She smiled regretfully. "When I opened the door and saw you I felt so guilty. You are such a beautfiful young lady . I could have raised you and been there for you."

I let out a shaky breath and licked my lips. "Why didn't you contact me sooner?"