Chapter 11: Confession

"Are you sure?" asked my mother from the doorway to my bedroom. "I'd be happy to stay with you."

"I'm fine, Mom. Just go," I replied, not looking up from my sketchbook.

She walked over and sat beside me on the bed. "I'm worried about you, Aden. You scared us. You're all we have."

"I'm fine." I set my pencil down. "I probably won't even leave my room while you're gone." I forced a smile. "I'm going to be okay. Go to your book club."

She nodded and kissed my cheek. "I'll only be gone for an hour or two."

I nodded. "I'll be right here when you get back."

With a smile, she scanned the papers that were scattered across my bed. "You started drawing again."

"Something to do." I placed my sketchbook overtop of them.

"You even got your figurines out." She went over to my dresser and picked one up. "My dad would be so proud. He used to make them for my sister and me all the time."

"Mom, you're going to be late." I gathered up my drawing and stacked them in a pile out of view.

"Alright," she laughed. "I'm going."

I kept my head bowed and listened for the door to close. My parents hadn't left me alone since the incident. I rubbed my shoulder. Only a bruise remained where the monster had scratched me. I hadn't told them about the wolf. Besides the bruise, I didn't have a mark on me. I was starting to think it might've not even happened. Even though, I was sure the wolf was the same one in the Anderson's field. My parents said it was only my mind playing tricks on me, at the time, but it was hard to believe that something like that would happen twice.

I laid my sketches out and examined each one. The bear caught my eye. I didn't have one of those yet. A bear would be a good addition to my collection. Gabbing a block of wood from the box on the floor, I started drawing out the outline.

There was a tap on my window.

Flinching, I clenched my jaw as my heart rate picked up. It was too soon. I couldn't face him yet. The tapping turned to knocking. I glanced at the window to see Titus's face pressed against the glass. He gave me a small wave. Swallowing hard, I took out my knife and cut off the corner of the wood. I wasn't ready, I'd never be ready.

"Aden, please," begged Titus. "Please, let me in. I'm sorry."

I took a deep breath and put my things to the side. Slipping off the bed, I walked to the window and undid the lock. I lifted it just enough for his fingers to fit through before returning to the bed. Gathering up the scattered papers, I piled them on my desk.

Titus opened the window the rest of the way and swung his feet inside. I backed into the corner of my room and folded my arms. I couldn't look at him. Everything that had happened the other day had been messing with my head since. I just wanted to forget.

Titus leaned against the wall. "I was worried when you didn't show up today."

I nodded. "My dad thought I should wait a week to let everything settle down."

"Oh, I'm glad you're alright." Titus scratched his head. "I missed you."

Taking a deep breath, I moved to the bed and sat down. I ran my hands down my face. "You left me."

"You told me to," he replied. "I didn't want you to hate me."

"You left me," I snapped. "I couldn't find my way back, Titus." I laid my forehead against my entwined fists. "I thought I was going to die. This thing tried—" Taking a deep breath, I peered up at him. "You just left me."

"I'm sorry. I really am." Titus scratched his upper arm. "When you rejected me, it hurt." He turned his gaze to the ground. "You told me to leave, so I did. I didn't want to make things worse between us."

Brushing my fingers against my lips, I fell silent. That was what started all of this, a simple kiss.

"Aden, can we talk about what happened?" He moved closer.

"I'm not gay, Titus. At least, I thought I wasn't." My hands were shaking as I wrung them together.

Titus sat beside me and placed a hand on top of mine.

"I don't know what to think anymore. Over the last couple days—" I quickly wiped my face on my shoulder. "I'm so confused."

Our eyes met.

"I really like you, Aden." His hand moved to my knee. "I've never felt this way about anyone but you."

I took in a shaky breath. "I don't know what to do. I like being with you. But I... I can't."

Titus wrapped his arms around me and held me tightly. "I'm sorry for leaving you."

"It's not your fault." I leaned into his chest. "I did tell you to go away."

"Doesn't mean I should have left." He rubbed my back.

I laid my head on his shoulder. "I can't be gay."

"Why?" He pulled away and frowned. "If you like me, too?"

I moved so I was sitting cross-legged on the bed. "Being different in my school"—I bowed my head—"my friends, everyone, they don't like gays. I don't even know if my parents will accept it."

Titus knelt in front of me. "No one has to find out. We'll keep it a secret for as long as you like."

"That's not fair to you."

"You're worth it. I'll wait as long as you need me to."

I smiled and nodded.

Titus leaned in closer. I felt his breath against my skin and slowly closed my eyes. He cupped my cheek and pressed his lips to mine. They parted, and Titus quickly deepened the kiss. We separated a few moments later. Titus pressed his forehead against mine as he rubbed circles with his thumb on my cheek.

"How do you feel?"

Taking a deep breath, I smiled. "Happy."

"You don't look happy." He brushed away the tears pooling in the corners of my eyes.

I pressed my hand to his and leaned into his palm. "I'm happy. I'm just scared."

"Hey." He kissed my forehead. "I'm going to be there for you. I'm not going to leave you again. Even if you yell at me."

I laughed. "Thank you." Falling into his chest, I wrapped my arms around his neck.

"For what?" He held me close.

"For coming back. I never would have. After I told you off like that, if it had been me, I wouldn't have gone back to try and make it work."

"Maybe none of those girls were worth it."

"Probably not." With a sigh, I sat back and peered into his dark-brown eyes. "I really do like you, Titus, but I don't know where this is going to go."

"Don't worry about it. We'll just wait and see. It's better than a no." He leaned in close.

I sucked in my lips. "This stay between you and me?"

He nodded. "No one else will find out."

I smiled. "Okay." I closed the gap and pressed my lips to his.