Fifty Three- You Called Me Baby

Three days after welcoming Jessie into my home, I woke up to find her crying in her room. Panic settled in me as I rushed to find out what was wrong.

"Jess, hey what's wrong?" I asked softly, trying not to startle her. She quickly started wiping her eyes and trying to stop crying.

"I'm fine, don't worry. Sorry I disturbed you, Chlo." The girl apologised.

"No no, you didn't disturb me. But you're clearly upset, and if you hadn't noticed, I don't particularly like people being upset. Wanna tell me what's wrong?" I asked.

Jessie stayed quiet for a moment and I could tell she was trying to think of a lie, before giving up and deciding to just be honest.

"It's my birthday." The girl whispered lowly.

"What? Why didn't you tell me? I could have had a cake prepared!" I said, trying to lighten the mood.

"You've already done more than I could ever ask of you. It's fine, really. I'm just being silly." Jessie said, trying to brush it off. I shook my head as I wrapped my arm around her shoulder, bringing her in for a comforting hug.

Over the past three days, Jessie and I have gotten to know each other a little better. I learnt that she had a passion for writing but felt like she was never good enough to make anything out of it. I learnt that she didn't have many friends, but her best friend was everything to her, until her friend wouldn't help her when she ran away from home.

I hadn't got the whole explanation of why Jessie ran away from home, but from the small bits of information she had slipped out, her parents were very abusive and her father was an alcoholic. It broke my heart seeing how damaged this girl was.

"You know that your feelings aren't silly right? If it's bothering you it's not silly." I told her.

"I know, I do. But it's just stupid... It's my eighteenth birthday and my parents don't even care. No one cared. My parents still haven't come looking for me or anything. I guess now I'm eighteen they don't have to care anymore." Jessie sighed.

"You know who cares?"

"The man on the moon?" Jessie joked.

"Well yes, but I meant me. I care. And I want you to care as well." I told her.

"I don't think I've expressed how truly grateful I am that you have taken me in."

"You have Jessie, and I know you honestly mean it. So, how about we get dressed and go celebrate your eighteenth? You know back home in Australia you'd be legal to drink now." I laughed.

"When are you going back to Australia?" Jessie asked, a bit of a worried tone in her voice. She had known I was itching to go back to Australia, itching to see a special person.

"I'm not sure yet, but it'll be soon. But I won't forget about you, if anything, I'd bring you with me. If you wanted to come of course." I shrugged.

I'd actually been considering taking her back to Australia with me. I think she could use with a holiday, and I wouldn't want to abandon her just as she's found a place to seek shelter and safety.

I'd been thinking about her future in general. I knew she'd graduated high school early, but she had no plans on going to college because her parents weren't going to pay for her. I knew she was passionate about writing, and she'd shared a bit of her work with me and I could definitely see the talent.

Maybe I could help fund her tuition, get her into a good school and help set up the rest of her life. I know she'd be 100% against me spending anymore money on her, but it'd be an investment in her future. I didn't get a degree, I didn't get that whole experience. I don't want her wasting away a talent like that.