Chapter One

"Get out of bed you pathetic piece of shit!" My father yelled grabbing my hair and yanking me out of bed. "Go to school!" He yelled kicking my ribs. He left my room, slamming the door on his way out. I groaned and pulled myself up and went to my closet. I grabbed a blue shirt that was attached to a long sleeved blue and white stripped one. I wear long sleeves to cover the burns and bruises and cuts on my arms. As I took off my sweat shirt I saw the giant bruise forming on my ribs. I sighed and pulled my shirt on. I hope he didn't do anything to Russell. I grabbed some black jeans and put them on. I put my sneakers on and grabbed my bag, ear buds, and phone. I went to Russell's room to make sure he was gone. I smiled when I saw he had already left. I rushed downstairs and outside and started walking to school.

As I was walking and listening to my music, I got a text from Russell.

Russell
Hey, did you leave? I'm at school now. Dad just got a little drunk and it scared me a bit so I left early.

I just left. I'm glad you left early. He can't hurt you if you aren't there so, I'm glad you left early. I'll be at the school soon.

I sighed and continued the walk. It was at least another five minutes to the school. As I was walking my rib started to hurt, where he kicked me. I had to stop and catch my breath cause it hurt so much. I sat on the ground and leaned against the brick wall behind me, holding my ribs. I groaned and tears fell from my eyes.

"Evan?" I heard. I looked up but, my vision was blurry with tears so, I couldn't see who it was. I sniffled and wiped my eyes. When my vision was cleared I noticed it was my Math teacher, Mr. Somerhalder. "Are you okay?" He asked, walking over to me. I sniffled and nodded putting my face in my hands as tears fell again.

"Come on, buddy, let's get off the dirty ground," he said gently grabbing my arm and helping me up. I held back a cry as my ribs started to hurt. "Here, I'll drive you," he offered. I wanted to deny but, could bring myself to. I nodded and he led me to his car and I got in passenger. He closed the door and before he got in I lifted my shirt and saw the bruise getting worse. I let my shirt fall back down and I leaned my head back.

The drivers' door opened and Mr. Somerhalder got in. "Evan, you look like you're in a lot of pain! Are you sure you're okay?" He asked. Tell him Evan! "Yeah I'm fine." Stupid! He looked like he didn't believe me but didn't push farther. I was glad he didn't but, part of me wished he would ask again.

We soon arrived to the high school and he parked in his spot. He turned off the car and looked over at me. I kept my eyes on the school. I looked at my lap and tried to open the door but he locked it. "Evan, look at me," he said. I looked at my lap and slowly looked at him. "What happened?" He asked.

"I- I'm bullied," I lied. I don't want him to know! I might be separated from Russell! He gave me a look that said, 'I don't believe you.' I looked away and tears brimmed in my eyes. "Hey," he said getting my attention. I glanced at him but, looked away before he noticed I was crying. "You can tell me anything, you know that right?" He asked. I nodded and rubbed my face with my hands, wiping the tears away in the process.

He sighed and unlocked the door. I grabbed my bag and got out. I put my bag over my shoulder and walked inside, hurting my ribs in the process. He may have fractured my rib again. I pushed the thought to the back of my head and looked for Russell. I saw him outside the office and I went to him hugging him.

"Charlie! What happened?" He asked. "He was drunk when he got me. He may have fractured my rib again," I told him. "Come on," he said grabbing my hand. "Where are we going?" I asked. "Mr. Somerhalder!" He said. I stopped in my tracks. "No! He-he can't know!" I said. "If we don't tell someone we could get killed!" Russell told me. I had tears form in my eyes and he sighed hugging me.

"I'm scared!" I cried into his shoulder. He rubbed my back and let me cry. The bell rang telling us class started and we are now late. We were the only ones in the hall, or so I thought. "What's wrong?" I heard. I turned my head seeing Mr. Somerhalder standing there worried. "Don't tell him!" I pleaded and pushed away from Russell. "Chars, it'll be okay!" Russell reassured, grabbing my wrist before I ran off.

"Mr. Somerhalder, we need to tell you something," Russell said. "Okay, how about we go to my classroom and talk?" He asked. Russell nodded, keeping his hold on my wrist. As Mr. Somerhalder started walking to his class, Russell followed, dragging me with him. As we got closer I struggled to get away. "Charlie! Quit!" Russell said. I cried as we walked in.

"You don't have to talk if you don't want to, you just need to be here," Russell told me, grabbing my face forcing me to look at him. I nodded as tears fell. He nodded and ran his hand through my hair. Mr. Somerhalder sat at a table and put two chairs next to his.

Russell sat next to him and I sat next to Russell. "So what's wrong?" He asked. I looked away and covered my ears, not wanting to hear. Russell removed my hand and started talking.

"Mr. Somerhalder, Charlie is abused at home," I looked at Russell. "You are too!" I blurted. "Yes, but I'm nineteen. I'm an adult so there's nothing they can do to help me but, tell me to find a cheap apartment and get a job," he said. "Oh," I mumbled. "By whom?" Mr. Somerhalder asked. "Our dad. He started abusing us when I was eight and Charlie was four. It started with mental abuse until Charlie turned six. That's when he started to physically abuse us," Russell said, tears in his eyes.

"If there is proof that he has abused you, we could go to the police with it," Mr. Somerhalder explained. Russell looked and me and told me to stand up. I obeyed and Russell lifted my shirt, revealing my bruises rib. "When was that?" Mr. Somerhalder asked. "This morning," I mumbled.

Then the bell rang indicating that it was time for the next class. "Okay, Russell, I want you to come straight here after school. Evan, has me last so, he will already be here," Mr. Somerhalder told us. Russell nodded and noticed me on the verge of sobbing.

"You can't go to class like that!" Russell said to me. "I can't walk!" I sobbed. Russell looked at Mr. Somerhalder then back to me. "Um, I'm going to take you to the nurse," Russell said grabbing my hand and his bag. "What if she calls dad!" I said yanking my hand away. "I'll tell her not to. She'll understand," he told me. I nodded and he said bye to Mr. Somerhalder before dragging me to the nurse.