Chapter 16: Re-poo-tat-tion

HEY YOU.

CHECK OUT THE KOOL WITH A K VIDEO I MADE ON THE SIDE OF THE CHAPTER. It's called "The Bad Man" on Youtube, named after that scene in the fun house when Little Faith says The Bad Man is after her. 

;)

Ahoy, Reapers! Don't forget to vote if you enjoy the chapter, and write a comment! I love reading them! :DDDD

* * * 

           "I don't feel safe anymore, David." I stared down at my untouched slice of pizza on the coffee table. The last thing I wanted to do was eat pizza at a time like this, and now David was devouring slice after slice, watching a muted recording of a Chicago Bears game on the television in the corner of the room.

            I was boring him.

            Typical guy.

            David was too normal to be Death.

            "It's perfectly understandable that you feel that way," David replied. "But what I don't understand is why hasn't he forced you to sign the contract by now? Against your will?"

            I slid my eyes to David's. "What would you have done by now if you were him?"

            "Honestly?" He leaned back on the couch, watching me. "I probably would have just taken flight and dangled you over the city until you gave in."

            "That's way too simple for him." I sipped my Sprite until I was sucking up air, my upset stomach making strange noises. "He's crazy, and wants to play a game. Crazy people don't go for obvious options. He'll probably drag on this cat and mouse thing until my birthday, until the last minute. Then he'll trick me into signing the contract." I rolled my eyes. "He's like that freaking Saw guy, I swear. Talk about unoriginal. He even masks his identity like a little baby. Like it'll make a difference if I know what he looks like."

            "Maybe he's ugly."

            "Nobody is as cocky as him when they're ugly."

             Unless I did something to avoid him, Death had almost five complete days to make me his. David had given me as much advice as he could, but I still didn't feel prepared. David told me that anything holy should have prevented Death from touching me or getting near me, that Death must have been wearing something to repel it. A necklace or a ring meant to repel everything holy. If I could expose him to holy objects, I had a chance to keep him away from me.

            "But how could I possibly get something that would obviously be very important to him, off?"

            David took the last slice from the pizza box out. "A deal, probably. He loves that crap. Everyone in Heaven and in Hell knows that."

            "A deal..." I mumbled, starting to pace the room. "What kind of deal?"

            "Death! Help me! Death!"

            I looked around the room, fully alert. "Did you hear that?" I asked David. That voice had sounded so familiar...

            David paused, mid-bite. "Hear what?" he asked around a mouthful of food.

            Suddenly, I felt like floating between two worlds; stuck between standing David's office and Little Faith's room.

            Her little body ran all over the place rapidly opening drawers and throwing makeup products onto her bed. Once she appeared to be done, Little Faith leaped onto her bed and pretended to choke herself.