Chapter 4- Meeting the Parents (Rewritten)

I had to miss a day of school while Brianna continued to get better. Mom was right, being a parent was going to mess up my attendance record. To my amazement, Jake offered to stay with her too, but I didn't let him. Spending the whole day with him wasn't something I wanted to do. 

I slowly started getting myself ready the following day, hoping to make up for the day I missed. After I finished getting ready I made my way to the kitchen where my parents were eating breakfast. 

I finally told them about Jake when they saw him visiting Bree yesterday. It was pretty obvious then who her dad was. They didn't really talk to him, other than a greeting, but my dad stared at him often and was constantly giving him a disapproving glare. 

If not for Bree, I'm sure words would have been said. I was thankful Jake was always around her. It made it hard for him and my dad to be alone together. 

"Morning," Mom said cutting up a banana for Bree. She was sitting in the new high chair Mom picked up yesterday, eating applesauce with a spoon. It was smeared all over her left cheek. 

"Hey, baby. You look all better," I smiled and kissed the top of her head. "I looked at my mom. "Did you give her the antibiotics?" 

She nodded. "About ten minutes ago." She handed me some toast and jam. "Breakfast."

I sat down at the table and scarfed it down. There was a knock on the door and I looked at mom. "That'll be Jake. He's Taking Bree and I to school this morning."

Dad frowned. "He is?"

I took another bite of toast and stood up. "He wants to be part of Bree's life. I have to let him do things for her."

"It's only been one day and if feels like he's over here all the time."

"I know. I don't like it either, but I'm not doing it for me."

Dad didn't say anything to that. He looked at Bree and grinned her, wiggling his fingers and making faces that made her laugh. 

"Papa. Papa," she said. 

My dad laughed. He was pretty proud of that. He'd worked on getting her to call him that all day yesterday. That and Nana for my mom. She was doing pretty well with it. She was a fast learner. 

"Want ride, papa. Want ride."

He pushed his plate away stood up. She reached out her arms to him as he lifted her from the highchair. I left the room to answer the door where Jake was standing there waiting. He looked annoyed. 

"What's wrong?" I asked him and motioned him him.

"Just a lot of shit going on today. Kristy is pissed."

I glanced toward the kitchen. "Watch your language before Bree hears you. She starting to pickup words." 

"Sorry."

I led him to the kitchen where Bree was now pulling at my dad's hat and trying to take it off. When she saw Jake she let out a squeal and clapped her hands. Dad released her with a grunt when Jake reach for her. 

"Dada."

"Hey, little," he cooed, kissing her hands. He seemed to already be in a better mood. I finished off my toast and grabbed my books and Bree's diaper bag off the table. 

"Want ride, dada." 

He laughed at her. "I think some one misses her friends at school."

I kissed mom and dad goodbye and left with Jake for school. He winced when Love is an Open Door played again for the fourth time in two days. He didn't hide his annoyance for Kid's radio. When he found out that Bree liked it when I sang along to the songs, he tried to learn the words for her.