chapter twenty-three

Once we got to the restaurant, I noticed how cold it was outside. They rushed me inside, into the warmth and chatter.

I see so many lights, and people, it almost blinds me when I take a look around. Alec, who was the one holding me, followed Dakota to a reception area to get seated.

"Now, since we're going to be waiting for a bit, you can color or draw a pretty picture for Daddy," Alec says as we are seated at a long table and I'm placed gently onto his lap. The waiter comes around with menus and places the materials I need in front of me, making me excited. I can draw!

I start scribbling away with a crayon as their voices fade away and a paci is plopped into my agape mouth. I don't even notice ten minutes later when food is placed on the table in front of people, and eventually in front of me and Alec, too. The colorful paper known as my masterpiece is taken away from my whining self as Alec turns me around to face him. I wasn't done with my drawing and they just took it from me! How rude. "Now, in order for you to not be in a high chair tonight, you have to be a good boy and stay still while I feed you, okay?" He says gently, causing me to pout and put my head down.

I feel his hand pulling my chin up to look at him, but I avoid his eyes. "Babbeee, he won't look at me. How am I supposed to feed him like this?" I hear him say loud enough for Dakota to hear. Then, I'm passed, literally over the table, to Dakota's awaiting arms. I look wide-eyed at them as if they would do it again any minute.

They all laugh at me and I pout more heavily, tearing up. I hate being laughed at, I feel like a joke.

I peek at Connor only to find his own gems peeking right back at me. He smiles, and reaches a hand to wipe some drool I didn't notice was dribbling down my chin. I scowl in disgust and he giggles.