Chapter 18

By the time Rome pulled up to my house, my lips were still tingling with excitement, my heart still racing like it was entered in the Derby, and my head still spinning with frenzied thoughts.  When I finally had enough sense to think comprehensively and realize we were sitting idly outside the garage, I realized I was still dumbly touching my buzzing lips, as I couldn’t seem to stop doing.  Rome had finally kissed me.

Hell, we’d made out shamelessly.

Now, however, nervousness caught up with me and finally decided to appear and settle deep in my stomach, and I wondered how Rome and I would act around each other now.  I hoped to God that we wouldn’t be all weird, and my heart secretly wished that more kissing would be involved in the future.

I scolded it, before realizing how stupid I was acting.  Scolding my own organs.  Although, ever since Rome kissed me, I was undergoing a feeling that I’m sure would compare to being high.  And oddly—not to mention ironic—enough, it was kind of addicting.

Before I could think any more foreign thoughts, a hand gently turned me, and I felt warm lips press against mine for the second time that night.  I closed my eyes, allowing myself to just stop worrying and overanalyzing everything for the time being.

When Rome pulled away and my lips turned cold, I didn’t bother opening my eyes.

“That was for good measure,” Rome whispered, his voice still extremely close.  I could smell his delicious cologne, causing a smile to tug up on my lips.  He kissed me again, softer this time, causing my lips to twitch in anticipation.  Oh, how I could quickly become used to Rome kissing me.  “That too.”  I could hear the smile in his voice.

I opened my eyes, amused, and exhaled slowly.  My mind, I was sure, still wasn’t wrapped around what had happened, but I just went with it.  Rome’s outrageously handsome face was close to mine, his chocolate eyes boring into mine, causing my stomach to do a couple of cartwheels.

“We should probably get inside.  It is Christmas Eve, after all.”  I paused, furrowing my brow, a frown pulling at my lips.  “Assuming, of course, that you even want to stay here on Christmas Eve—”

Rome’s lips on mine interrupted me, and I allowed myself to smile against his mouth.  As much as I hated it when Rome interrupted me, I could certainly get used to his most recent method.

“Of course I want to stay,” Rome said after pulling away, looking at me as though I was crazy.  I knew I was.  I had to be if I was still acting like a sane person outwardly, even after Rome had kissed me… four times now.  Inside, however, was a completely different story.  Could a person internally combust?  At the rate I was going, I really hoped not.

“T-then let’s go,” I said, turning my face to blush.  My breathing was ragged, and although I didn’t really want to get out, I needed to spend some time with my family.  I heard Rome chuckle, then back away.  He unlocked the car doors, took his keys out of the ignition, and got out of his car.  I hurriedly followed suit, running around the car to catch up to Rome.  My rush was not needed, however, for he was standing by the hood of the car, already waiting.

“Still scared?”  Rome said in a teasing manner, causing me to roll my eyes.  I walked ahead of him, my chin raised high, determined to prove to him that I wasn’t the biggest baby on the planet when it came to scary movies.

All right… I kind of was.

But Rome didn’t have to know that, right?

“No,” I stated as confidentially as possible when I reached the front door, grasping the handle, only to find the door locked.  I knocked twice, waiting patiently for Maggie to come get the door.