Chapter Sixღ

I had been sat idly on the sofa for fifteen minutes before I had gotten bored and decided to wander around. Christian was still in the shower - I had made sure the water was still running before I had decided to take a look around.

 I was sure he wouldn't appreciate me snooping around his friend's house but I felt the incessant need to move around. My body was still full of adrenaline after the previous events; I felt like my whole being was thrumming and I needed to release it somehow.

I walked into the furthest door to my left and saw that it was a small bedroom. The walls were a dull grey, the room lacking any personal details; no potted plants, pictures or books. The single bed was neatly made; so neatly it looked as though no one had ever slept in it. It reminded me of a hospital room; all sterile and depersonalised. 

My legs made their way towards the bedside cabinet; my body on autopilot. I didn't know what I was searching for - a distraction I suppose. I needed something to occupy my racing mind; I couldn't stop thinking about my parents. 

The thought of something happening to them brought tears to my eyes. I quickly wiped them away and told myself the same mantra I had been repeating since I had left home; they will be ok, they will be safe, they are alive.

I opened the first draw only to see trivial things such as socks, tissues and various Rubles. It was the same with the other three draws until a small envelope caught my eye. 

I glanced over my shoulder quickly to make sure Christian wasn't waiting to spring on me. I had become so accustomed to him being my shadow; it was slightly eerie that he was now elsewhere.

I opened up the envelope and a picture fell into my lap. The photograph was small and had faded slightly as the quality wasn't the best. I bought it closer to my face and raised my eyebrows in surprise when I saw that Christian was in the picture. He looked younger; probably around my age. He was smiling; something I had never seen. His smile was nice, it was wide and boyish and it showed off his white teeth. He had his arm slung around a male who was slightly shorter than him. It was strange to see Christian that way, he looked so happy and relaxed.

"Nadia?" Christian called from the living room.

I jumped at the sound of his voice, the photo falling to the ground as I stood up. I hastily shut the draw as I heard his footsteps approach the door. I quickly flopped back on the bed, resorting to the classic, yet childish, act of pretending to be asleep.

The door opened and my skin prickled as I felt his eyes on me. I tried to keep my breathing slow and steady but I could feel my eyelids fluttering nervously.

"You're a terrible actress." Christian scoffed.

I sighed and rolled over; there was no point carrying on the act. I sat up and picked the photograph up from the floor. Christian frowned and moved closer to see what I had found. He was dressed in a pair of loose black slacks and a thin white t-shirt. His leather bands remained secured around his wrists.

I held out the photo to him and watched as he froze, his eyebrows drawn together as he reached for it.

"I'm sorry for snooping," I mumbled guiltily.

Christian was staring at the photo; his expression impassive. I noticed a slight crack in his mask, his dark eyes were clouded with some sort of emotion; sadness or possibly just nostalgia. He let out a single dry chuckle before he put the photo face down on the bed. It was almost as if he couldn't look at it any longer.

"When was that photo taken?" I asked uncertainly.

Christian shook his head, "From another life."