•ONE•

I looked up from my books as I heard the sound of rapid footsteps. Unusual. This place was usually nothing but quiet. I watched as people passed by, all acquaintances. To them, I was just a girl who hid myself away, unknown to most.

"(YN)," I heard a voice say. Saera. A well-respected member of the Republic. "You need to get out of here."

"Is there a problem?" I asked, closing my book and placing it on the shelf.

"We're under attack." She opened her mouth to speak again but was yanked away by a few citizens who were running away. I followed.

We'd never even drilled on evacuation before, which was probably contributing to the chaos that was currently ensuing. We ran outside and looked up at the sky. TIE fighters lined the sky as blasters were fired and bombs were dropped. Everyone was screaming and dashing around. I dove for the ground, protecting my head.

Smoke and dust crowded my vision. I could hardly see anything, but the sounds around me told me everything I needed to know. I felt hands wrap around me. I kicked and squirmed, but the person comforted me.

"Hey, hey, it's alright. I'm with the Resistance," he said, looking down at me. "Can you walk?"

"Yes," I said breathlessly, and he set me down and gripped my hand. He began running and I followed him, shielding my face from all of the debris that was falling. I was pulled onto a ship and I immediately collapsed.

"You okay?" he asked, looking down at me. His face was rugged with messy hair. His pilot uniform was covered in dirt. I looked down and my shirt and pants were covered with dirt. "The name's Poe. Poe Dameron."

"(YN) (LN)," I said quietly. "Where are you taking me?"

"To the Resistance base on D'Qar." He smiled at me as I sat up.

"The Resistance? Am I... joining the Resistance?" I asked, looking down at my torn outfit. He shrugged and nodded.

"You look cold. Here, take my jacket," he said, handing it to me. I slid it on.

"Thanks." I was about to speak again as an alarm sounded. "What's wrong?"

"I have to go. Find a copilot or this ship is going down," he said, starting to run but I grabbed his hand.

"I can help. I know how to fly."

"Fly what?"

"A ship. Any ship." He looked at me, clearly not believing me, but he was desperate. "Just trust me."

"Alright, follow me," he said, still holding my hand. It felt nice and comforting, just like his jacket. To be honest I was too much in shock to even realize what was happening. He sat in one seat and I sat next to him. "So all you have to do is-"

"I know," I said, following my instincts and getting the ship in motion.

"You really can fly," he said, looking at me. I smiled back at him, feeling something I hadn't felt before. A connection. "Welcome, (YN)."

"Thank you, Poe." He looked at me, concerned.

"Are you in shock? I haven't seen... you don't look..."

"I don't look upset, I get it. And I am. I just... I still don't get what's going on. I don't know who made it out alive," I explained as we prepared for landing. "I was really only close to Saera."

"(YN), you and only three others made it off of your planet," he said, looking at me. I brought a hand to my mouth, finally feeling the extent of the situation. Tears filled my eyes. "Hey, hey, it's okay."

"It isn't, Poe. That was my home," I said, wiping my eyes and helping him land. "I don't have anywhere anymore."

"You have here. Okay?" he said quietly, standing up and hugging me tightly. "You're going to be safe with us."

"It's my fault that the planet was destroyed, Poe," I said into his shoulder. He stepped back.

"It wasn't your fault, (YN)." He looked at me with pain in his eyes. "And it still isn't."

"Poe, watch," I said, focusing my mind on a tool in the corner of the ship. It instantly flew to my hand. He looked at me in shock.

"You're the Princess."

"I'm so sorry I didn't tell you," I said.

"I'm not upset, I'm just..." He took a breath. "We need to get you on that base. You need protection." Other members of the Resistance flooded the ship.

"It's the Princess!" Poe called out. "Make sure she's alright."

"Poe, your jacket!" I said, but he stopped me.

"Keep it. I'll see you later, Princess." He winked at me. Before I could answer, he was swept away with the crowd.

"See you," I said quietly, walking into the Resistance base, where I was instantly surrounded by several Resistance members who I assumed were generals because of their medals.

"Are you alright, Princess?" one asked, leading me into a medical bay.

"I'm fine. But please tell Poe Dameron I'd like to see him later."

"Of course, Princess." They bowed.

"You can just call me (YN)."

I waited and watched as I went through several medical examinations. I still didn't know who had survived the bombing, but all I could think about was the Resistance pilot who had saved my life.