The judge smiled. "Maybe I will see your face in front of me again after all, young man. I look forward to it." He picked up his gavel. "Go ahead, Lieutenant—I'll approve it. Check with my clerk to set a date for sentencing." The gavel came down, ending the discussion.

"All rise," the bailiff called again as the judge left the bench.

Virginia walked to their side of the courtroom.

Simon dragged her in for an awkward teenage-type hug. "Thank you."

"You're welcome," she said before turning to Spinelli. "They will drive him over there. Here is the address." She gave him a slip of paper listing all the details. "I'll call and let them know you're coming with his things."

Anderson offered his hand. "Nice working on the same side for a change."

An officer approached and escorted Simon to retrieve his possessions and prepare for transport. Anderson went over to talk with the clerk.

Virginia suddenly found herself at a loss for words, left alone with Spinelli.

) l (

Although Mark had been hoping for a moment of privacy with her, standing in the middle of a courtroom was not the setting he would have chosen. But it was going to have to do.

She was glancing about the room, plainly searching for an excuse to leave his side.

"Ginny," he said softly, drawing her solemn eyes up to his. He wasn't used to asking for forgiveness, but damn it, he wanted her to look at him the way she had on their night out. Free of confusion or doubt or regret. So say you're sorry, asshole. He cleared his throat. "I want to apologize for—"

Captain Beal's booming voice rushed in from the hallway. "Virginia! Look who I found hanging around the station."

Her face lit up. "Paul!" Abandoning Mark, she ran down the courtroom aisle right into the outstretched arms of a tall, dark-haired man wearing the green and khaki service uniform of the United States Marine Corps.

The Marine enfolded her in his arms, then lifted and twirled her around in the air. Mark's pulse went a little wonky, like all his arteries had constricted and his pumper was faltering under the strain. He rubbed at his chest. Didn't help.

Captain Beal walked up to join him. "Mr. Spinelli, we meet again."

Mark enclosed the outstretched hand in his. "Captain, how are you?"

"Can't complain. Each day brings me a little closer to retirement."

Mark nodded, but his attention had gone back to the couple engrossed in conversation by the door.

"He's her younger brother."

Mark's head whipped back to the captain's face.

Dark eyes narrowed. "You looked like you needed to know that."

In the silence that followed, it was obvious Virginia's boss was questioning his interest. And no wonder. How many times had he questioned that himself?

With a tone that sounded close to a warning, the captain added, "He's a Judge Advocate, just graduated from the Naval Justice School up in Rhode Island. He's been placed here for six months before going to Norfolk."

Virginia and her brother were making their way over.

Her hand floated between them as she made the introductions. "Paul Sullivan, this is Mark Spinelli. I'm helping with his nephew's case."

Paul gave him a cold look. "Yes, I know who you are."

Mark glanced at the two silver bars on the shoulder epaulettes of the man's jacket. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Captain Sullivan," he said, offering his hand.

After a momentary hesitation, Paul grasped it in his, nodding tersely. Then his attention went back to his sister. "When can I see Janine?" He smiled with the mention of his young niece.

"She should be home by now. She goes to my neighbor's house after school. I can call Mrs. Johnson and tell her you're coming."

"When will you be home?"

"I don't get off until—"

"We may let her leave early," Captain Beal said with a crooked grin, "considering the fact that she's been here all day." He gave Paul a hearty pat on the back. "Good to see you again, son. I've got a meeting to get to." With a nod in Mark's direction, he voiced a formal sounding "Mr. Spinelli" before leaving the group and heading out of the courtroom.

"I'd better go too," Virginia said to Mark. "Call me if there are any questions."

Mark could do nothing but mutter his thanks as she turned, hooked her hand on Paul's arm, and walked out with her face tilted up at her brother.

Anderson came up behind him. "I'm done here. Are you ready?"

"Yes, let's get out of here," Mark said, knowing he sounded a little downtrodden.

Anderson gave him a curious look but displayed one of the main reasons he'd had longevity in working for the Chilvati family—keeping his questions to himself as they left the courtroom together.

END OF CHAPTER THIRTY-EIGHT

Looks like Simon was lucky. And we get to meet Virginia's brother Paul, the Marine. Wait until you get a load of him. He doesn't seem too thrilled with Mark. Is this another complication for Virginia to deal with? 

Don't be shy. Please comment and vote. Even a smiley face or LOL count, so let those emojis fly!