Chapter II.

I was bored.

Correction - my sister, my friend Banele, and myself were bored. We had reached the sports awards section of the evening, and after collecting my father's award, I was ready to take off these heels, my make-up and call it a night. As we listened and watched the presenters call up athletes who had won several personality and performance awards, my eyes began to wander around the room, looking at all the pretentious celebrities who probably had little to no interest in the actual event but came for the spotlight, followed by the glowing wives and girlfriends of the athletes who were basking in the limelight of their successful partners.

My eyes kept wandering around until they fell upon a similar pair of eyes that I had seen earlier in the evening. It was that guy who had saved me from my near-embarrassing tumble, and his eyes were on me as much as mine were on him. I ignored the temptation to roll my eyes, and simply nodded at him, watching him respond with a smirk. I turned back and tried tuning into next set of awards to no avail, and I began to snack on the appetizers on our table. I was so focused on enjoying the appetizers that I did not pay any attention to the next award being presented, something to do with a promising player in sport.

I felt a pinch on my arm and my head whipped to Nthabileng, who smirked and pointed to the stage. My jaw drops when I see the handsome stranger on stage accepting an award, I guess his clumsiness and fast reflexes do work in his favour. He exits the stage and walks in my direction, and I take that moment to check him out, realizing that he was as handsome as I had labelled him. His whole look was on point, from the blonde comb-over on his head, to his fitted navy suit and dark shoes.

He passes by my table and winks at me, letting his hand brush against my arm, as he headed to his table. I shake my head and sit properly, but as I look in my lap, I spot a small piece of paper. Save me a dance? XX. "This guy has to be joking", I whisper to myself. Where did he find paper, and how did he know he would get it to me? I crumble the piece of paper and throw on my plate, already waiting for the ceremony to end, so that I could head out and be with my true love, my laptop and streamed television series.

After another forty-five minutes of applauding and kissing up the behinds and cheeks of socialites, the awards ended with the dance floor and cash bar being opened. I jumped to get myself a shot of alcohol, before going to search for my sister in the darkened ballroom. As I cross the dance floor, I spot the handsome stranger dancing with someone else. I watch the pair sway in a relaxed pace to the croons of Michael Bublé, before shaking my head and continuing my search. I guess I did not need to save a dance for him after all.

I find Nthabileng and Banele in deep conversation with Banele's rugby player boyfriend, who was also a recipient tonight. Noticing how the three of them were enjoying each other's company, and not wanting to end my sister's night early, I whisper my goodbyes in Nthabileng's ear before grabbing my clutch and heading out the hall to the waiting cars, completely missing the look of disappointment on the handsome stranger's face.