Chapter 11

"I need you boys to wait here," Jerocobish said, handing them each a coin that was as dull as rust

"I need you boys to wait here," Jerocobish said, handing them each a coin that was as dull as rust. "Get yourselves something to eat."

On the strip of the duelsosseum there were enough stands to choose from, as well as hungry patrons to fill them. Each with a line that extended near twenty bodies.

Boone asked, "Where are you going?"

"I need a word with Leslie." She was approaching their position beneath the Crockernard sign. "Stay within eyes reach...now get."

The boys scurried off.

Leslie face twisted to their departure. "Where are they running off to?"

"To grab some grub." Jerocobish took a puff of his pipe. "My how you've grown," he smiled. Leslie stopped and leaned against the post, arm above her head. Though a woman she still seemed like a kid in his eyes. Maybe that feeling never leaves, no matter the age, Jerocobish thought. He held out the pipe, "I don't offer it to just anybody."

Leslie waved a hand warding of the cheery smell. "Never did much like black air." She smiled. "You need to ask me something, Jeroco?"

His jester got him caught, he knew. The old man nodded. "I need you to take the boys."

She stared past him trying to locate their whereabouts in the lines and stands, listening for their voices in the chatter of people; loud and obnoxious as apes.

"You in some kind of trouble?" Jerocobish felt his eyelids pull upward; the Sheriff noticed, raising an eyebrow. She reached out a hand, squeezing his arm. "You can tell me."

If only it were that easy...

He placed the pipe between his lips and inhaled, feeling the smoke warm his lungs and chest. It helped keep the cold away if only for that moment. They locked eyes.

"Ma Jean is sick..." The words came out with a mouthful of black air. "And I'm not certain that she'll make it."

Leslie placed her hands over her mouth and gasped. After a minute she collected herself. "We should all go together...I am to accompany the Mayor on our track back but not until tomorrow-"

"She needs space," Jerocobish said. "And I don't want the boys to see it-death does funny things to the young."

Leslie wasn't one to back down, he knew, but something about his words made her obedient as a well trained horse. She nodded. "Where am I to take him?"

"Sundown City," He lowered his head. Should I tell her? He knew she was somebody he could trust. Somebody who'd protect Boone with her life. There weren't many friends out there like that...but, then again, the less she knew the safer they were. He rubbed his beard. Stupid...That never made true in the past, he thought. "I reckon she's been attacked."