Chapter 15

Odette's POV

Everything had been extremely off lately. Joey and Stella kept on trying to keep me in the house, away from Kat, Brent, and especially Cameron. Every time we did ended up together, I would get the feeling of emptiness in my chest, something I got quite often actually. There were still a few things I couldn't exactly put my finger on.

Ever since we had sorted out the fact that I lost a large part of my memory and left the hospital, I knew there was something missing. I remember while I was out, that I was sort of in a trance - like a dream. The nurses often said it was easy for me to zone out but it was just the fact that I needed to know what that dream was. I wasn't zoning out- I knew exactly what was going on and what they were saying. It felt like my consciousness was screaming at me to do something, but I couldn't.

In my dream, there was a very tall woman, familiar looking - just like the one in my picture. My mother, I suppose. She wore a white dress, in a field full of flowers I think. And she was smiling at me, but it was in a sympathetic way. It didn't last long until the sun shining down on her became a rainy night and she fell in a coffin. A fuckin coffin. Every one around us was crying and Joey was standing in a corner holding a baby who, as well was screaming. Aside from the fact that I was mortified, it made me curious. When I saw the picture of her on my nightstand, I remembered what I thought about. It took a very very long argument between me and my conscience before we decided to ask who it was.

I looked around my room one more time and saw the picture again.

"Soon!" I wanted to know how long 'soon' really meant. While Kat was teaching me how to keep my balance on my own in the hospital, I could hear Joey speak to Cameron through the door.

"Pretend none of that, happened. In fact, pretend you just met her today!"

I didn't think too much about it because it didn't seem that big of a deal. Maybe we had been close friends and got into some dumb argument. Maybe we were so close, it hurt both of us a lot - at least, that's what it felt like. And the more I thought about it the bigger it felt. The times I did think about Cameron, our memories came back in flashes.

It started with a piano, then a quick glance at Cameron. Then, almost like a movie, CUT, there were red lockers rushing past me and Cameron and we were laughing. Another CUT and somehow we ended up in a forest or a meadow or something and Cameron is falling and we're laughing again. And there were daisies everywhere and this perfect purple sky directly above us and CUT, something happens and it feels magical and the water is pink for some reason and CUT suddenly everything is cold and distant and we're no longer laughing and CUT there's a bright light and CUT I can't seem to remember how to breathe and my hands are shaking. And then it just stops. It just all goes to black.

Joey said that I was just screwing around with some bad people I used to call friends and tripped off the curb and a speeding truck came by and hit me - but God even I knew I wasn't that stupid.

Don't doubt your abilities sweetheart.

And there was this stupid voice I always had in my head. I was fucking glad that I still had it.

I broke myself out of my thoughts and got out of bed, walking to the bathroom. I could tell I was finally gaining some weight on my body due to all the food I was forced to eat for my recovery. My cheeks were finally regaining a shade of pink and I no longer looked as if I hadn't slept in years. I undressed myself and got into the glass shower, turning on the cold water and letting myself get hit by the icy jets. It felt good - to be able to feel something.

After I was done with that, I had gotten myself dressed and went downstairs. I remember feeling the scent of pancakes and bacon for the first time in 8 moths and I was so glad that I did. When I got in the breakfast room, everyone looked at me. I smiled at all of them and greeted everyone with a warm "Good morning."

"You hungry, hun?" Joey placed a plate of three pancakes covered in strawberries and powdered sugar along with two pieces of bacon on the side.

"Hell yeah." I replied and began grabbing the strawberries with my hand. Cameron strained out a laugh and pushed a fork towards me with his hand. I looked at the fork, then up at Cameron and pushed the fork back to him with two fingers. He pushed it back towards me and we went on pushing it back and forth until I finally grabbed it with my whole hand, just like a toddler would, and stabbed it into my pancake. I tried glaring at him, but when I realized that wasn't working out I rolled my eyes and laughed at myself quietly instead - which he mirrored as well.

Although Cameron brought a smile to my face, it made me feel that emptiness in my chest. I wanted to know why, but laughing and throwing blueberries at Cameron seemed like a much better idea at the time, so I did that instead.

I threw a blueberry right in his perfect fucking face.