six

CHAPTER SIX!
006. lucid memories

|| POWER ||❝No one man shouldhave all that power, the clock's ticking, I just count thehours

|| POWER ||
❝No one man should
have all that power,
the clock's ticking,
I just count the
hours.❞

➳➳

HEAT WAS NOT the word I would use to describe the feeling that rose to my cheeks whenever I was caught in a lucid dream.

When I was seven, I could remember the pure guilt that filled up the fat in my cheeks or the individual cells ontop of my nose whenever I was caught in another world, but back then it was filled with rainbows instead of a blanket of blue. It was a nice warmth that brushed up against my skin so that it turned the most perfect golden colour- now the sun I had day dreamed of was just a hot slap to the face.

The floor that was once filled with green grass in my wild fantasies became drenched in blood and sand, while the smell no longer remained as sweet as sugar. Everything about my imagination had changed, and that made the feeling when I got caught different as well.

Instead of guilt, it was just the sharp kick from my heart.

I could feel that kick as the heat from Finnick's skin hung around my waist even through the fabric of my dress. It was my reminder that the world around me wasn't what I thought it was in my head, something that he might of realised after I pursed my lips at the sound from various speakers on the walls.

He was the one that stopped us in the middle of the tribute centre right in front of the door that I came in through. He took my hand in his and trailed the lines of my bones with one of his smooth thumbs as he watched me, occasionally I saw him glance at the Capitol women that were watching from above, something that I knew was part of his act.

He had taken my hand for nothing more than his own image, but to me, it was to pull me out of whatever I had been caught in before.

"What are you doing?" I asked quietly as I readjusted the hem of my dress so I didn't stand on it.

Finnick immediately looked guilty as he watched the way my fingers gripped his wrist; I could see it as he softened his eyebrows and opened his eyes wider so that they weren't in the strange slits he had them in before. He was not trying to be sexy- he wanted to make a point of becoming innocent for just a second as he tried to loosen my grip on him, one that I kept as tight as my chest.

"We aren't ever alone here." Finnick reminded me, after finally unlatching me from him. "I have to keep up appearances"

He ducked his head to whisper in my ear, which suddenly allowed the voices that were once ringing in them to flee.

"You need to get into character Lorna, the normal you won't do here. They want to see the killer they watched in the arena or you'll lose all your sponsors before you even get a chance to speak."