WHY HIM?

Jade wondered around the room as the party was getting into full swing. She had noticed several couples disappear. Some out in the gardens, some upstairs to the bedrooms, some just didn't care and marked each other openly. She had noticed Suzy go outside and a few minutes later a very large biker wolf follow her. She felt like she should follow them. After all, Suzy had just been rejected by her mate last month. Jade knew she hated Valentine's Day. This party was like a slap in the face for all of the singles here tonight. Some saw it as a chance to hook up, some, like her and her older friend Suzy, hated it. Because it represented everything that they didn't have. 

Love.

 Just as she was about to follow her friend and make sure she was ok, a strong arm grabbed her around her waist and picked her up. " My brother does not need you to interfere with him chasing his mate. I, on the other hand, do need you. As your mate, I need you desperately. To keep me same, to keep me from going feral, just to keep me."

Jade looked up, way up. Dear god, he was sinful looking. But, because he was a vampire, his age was almost impossible to determine. 

"Yes mate, I'm a vampire. There are many supernatural species here tonight. It would seem that your Alpha does not discriminate against race or gender.  Come, let's go somewhere quiet so that we can get to know each other."

Jade was terrified. Vampires were notorious for their cruelty. Why did the Moon Goddess decide to give her one for a mate? With a cry of heartfelt agony, she jerked away from the surprised vampire and ran. Out the door and onto the grounds. Eventually, she ended up in the one place that she always found comfort, the stables. Walking down the aisle, she found her favorite, Zorro. She let herself in and wrapped her arms around the stallion's neck, crying.

 She let herself in and wrapped her arms around the stallion's neck, crying

Calderon stood watching his curvy little mate run from him, crying. Her had felt and smelt he fear. He was aware of the stories of vampiric cruelty towards their mates. This had changed over the centuries. However, the stories that tell of them cherishing their mates were outweighed by the stories of the cruelty to their mates. Remembering this, he could understand his mate's reaction. Just then a warrior elf  walked up to him and spoke. 

"What's the matter, Calderon? Does the little wolf not wish to be mated to a vampire?" smirking, the warrior walked off.

"Dammit! Now I have to go find her and convince her that I would genuinely care for her." He grumbled to himself.

"Talking to yourself again, son? I thought I saw you talking to little Jade. Did she leave? I would have thought that you two would hit it off. What happened?" 

"She ran from me, sir. I smelled fear and then she ran. Fast little thing, too. Do you know where I can find her?" He could see his father about to turn him down when he spoke. "She's my beloved, dad. My mate and I need her. I will be good to her, I promise. Where is she? Please, father, tell me!" Calderon was prepared to beg on bended knee for his little wolf mate to accept him. He already was beginning to feel the bond linking their souls. "Alright son, calm down. She'll be in the stables. She'll probably be in Zorro's stall. That's where she normally goes if Suzy is not available. And since Zach seems to have claimed her and they have left, that seems to be the logical place."

"Zorro! You let her in the stall with that old reprobate! Dad! How could you. I better go and rescue her." He watched his son walk of mumbling to himself, and couldn't help but grin. He had a feeling that little Jade would not submit easily to his son. 

As Calderon ran towards the stables, he thought of how almost every male eye had been on Jade tonight

As Calderon ran towards the stables, he thought of how almost every male eye had been on Jade tonight. He hissed then growled his displeasure. Then he realized that she had not been aware of the power she held. Her voluptuous shape in that black and red dress had caused him to harden to the point of pain. Groaning, he imagined peeling that tight dress off of her, revealing her bountiful breasts and creamy skin as it peeled down. He imagined kissing the skin he revealed until she was a mess of arousal, with fires burning that only he could put out.

Nearing the stables, he growled to announce his presence when  he over heard Zorro talking to his little mate.

"Calderon would never hurt you, Jade."

"But he's a vampire, Zorro. They're mean to their mates." It was said as a sob.

"Child, he was raised by a wolf father and a vampire mother. Therefore, he was taught to cherish his mate, that she was his reason for living. He will love you forever. Trust me on this. You have come to me for years for advice. I'm giving it to you. Go, child. Seek your mate and claim each other. Before the mating heat overtakes you both." 

Calderon stopped at the entrance to the stables to watch his beloved mate leave the centaur's stall. As they exited, she looked up. Her eyes widen when she saw him standing there. He knew what she was seeing. His eyes were red and his fangs were showing as he breathed in her scent.  Doing so seemed to calm him as he breathed in the honey and vanilla, his mate's own unique smell.

  Doing so seemed to calm him as he breathed in the honey and vanilla, his mate's own unique smell

"I'm sorry. I was afraid. Afraid of you. Afraid of what your touch made me feel. Afraid of the stories I have heard. Please, forgive me. I don't think that I have ever been so frightened in my life as I was when you touched me." She was trembling and he could see it. She was sorry, even though she was still afraid.

"Go easy on her, boy. She hasn't been treated well by the opposite sex. Her last boyfriend publicly ridiculed her when she wouldn't sleep with him. His sister and her friends have bullied her. Be gentle, Calderon." Having said his peace, the centaur  walked out of the stables, leaving the two by themselves.

"Come here, Jade. Come to me now and I will forget that you ran from me. Now!" Calderon knew he was being harsh, but he sensed it was the only way she would be able to trust what he said.

Jade flinched, but nevertheless, she began slowly walking to her mate. His eyes still blazed red from his anger and anxiety, as well as his fangs hanging over his bottom lip. When she stood in front of him, he quickly reached out and pulled her to him and buried his face in her neck. As he did, Jade whimpered. Suddenly, he sank his fangs into her neck. When he did, she felt the connection and became so aroused that  moaned and began to grind against him. Because her dress was so tight, they couldn't do much, so they pulled apart. 

Looking at each other, they realized the same thing at once. They needed to find a room and mate. "Come, we need to find my father and tell him that I have found my mate."