Remembering the Moon - Prologue

Copyright © Laura Crean 2010

Prologue

I had floated like this on my back for such a long time that I could not remember when my journey had started. It seemed as if I had always been out here alone, drifting, floating and swimming through a void of cold, black, nothingness; with only my thoughts to keep me company and only vague, distant memories of a home and parents teaching me to value my life and preparing me for a journey, this journey in fact.

The only other thing to keep my mind occupied was the music of this place, sound became my companion and as those sounds vibrated and radiated through my whole body infusing me with their energies, I became acutely aware of the complexity of those vibrations and after a long time I began to understand its language. It wasn't the sort of music you hear with your ears, that was impossible out here in this vacuum, but it was sound that vibrated on a whole different level and it was an internal sense within my mind that picked up its signature and fed it directly into my soul.

I turned on to my front and felt the coolness caress my body. There was no point in trying to make my way quicker, speed did not matter, it was a journey that had only one destination for me, only one outcome, and now I think back on that moment, I was like a homing pigeon with some secret force guiding me, and direction had no meaning but no boundaries either.

Sometimes I would go left, sometimes right, but with no real point of reference, only blackness surrounding me in every direction; it was an in-built genetic navigation system that pulled me, guided me, compelled me to go wherever it was I had to go. You may call it fate, but whatever cosmic plan it was, it led me to him and I knew he was waiting for me too.

Suddenly I started moving faster, pulled by an invisible, intangible cord, light started to pound my senses and it was as if I was being born again. I screamed soundlessly as I suddenly seemed to lose all buoyancy and I was now falling and tumbling, my arms and legs flaying in all directions as I tried to gain back some control over my own movements.

And then I did regain the control; I was now soaring over an unknown, alien landscape. Faster and faster I flew, below me trees, seas, cities and mountains whizzed past as my physical body followed its magnetic pull towards its absolute perfect other half, my soul mate who had called me by my every being from the other side of the universe. My senses tingled in elation, my long journey was over, I had found him, but he didn't even know I existed.