Chapter 9: Backround "Love"

ZACH
We waited outside in the chilled weather for our Uber. I shuffled over to my mom. "Why?" Is all I could manage to say. She turns her head. "I dont know sweetie. He just doesn't love me anymore. And he doesn't like that I support your decision of being gay." She says quietly. "Was he always like this?" I ask. "No. When you were very small, just a couple of months old, he was the same as any old movie father. Loving, caring, protective. He loved you and me more than anything. He would be the one waking up at night to feed you and change you, just so I could get some rest. I dont know why he started drinking, maybe out of stress. I dont know. Then, he became more violent as you grew up. He started showing less affection towards you and me. When you were 5, and Ryan was born, he stopped drinking for awhile. Just so he could help out. But I remember the look on your face every time he would go to you to hug you or to kiss your forehead. You had the most scared face I've ever seen. Like you didn't know who he was. I was blinded by his kindness towards Ryan, that I didn't pay attention when you would come downstairs with bruises. All eyes would be on Ryan. After Ryan turned 3, Reese was born. He was kind towards Reese. But I never acknowledged the kind of hurt he did towards you and Ryan. I was always focused on his fake smile and fake kindness. He provided for our family and that's all I cared about. And I wish, I wish, I could change the past. I wish I could change how he treated you. Maybe he would be here with us. But when you, Ryan, and Reese started getting older, he became more violent. You might remember how I would be in my room. And you'd ask what was wrong and I would lie and say it was about work or something that happened on the news but it was always your father that hurt me. And I did nothing. I-" I cut her off as I pulled her into a tight hug and tried not to squeeze her hard. My shoulder became wet. The Uber pulled up to the curb and my mom wiped her tears and sat in the front. Reese, Ryan and I sat in the back, with them never letting go of my hand. "When did he start hurting you, or when do you remember when he first did?" I asked shakily. Ryan spoke up. "I think when we were younger, i dont know. Maybe when you were 6 or 7 years old and I was 5 and Reese was 2. That's when I remember. He would come home and yell at mom then come up to our room and slap you then hit me with a fly swatter.   He wouldn't go to Reese because she was too small and it would damage her too much. And sometimes, I would hear mom cry herself to sleep. I still hear her do that. It hurts. He doesn't hit me with a swatter anymore, he just gets his belt and smacks my arm and occasionally hit my back, causing me to scream in pain. I would hear Reese telling stop, pulling at his arm. But he would just push her away. Turning towards her as she lays on the floor, and then slap her multiple times. After he was done, he'd leave. And doesn't come back until a day or two passes, if we're lucky. I would hide in my room. Mom pulled us out of school and now we do it online, just so we don't get bullied for having bruises and flinching ever time someone gets near us." He squeezes my hand tighter. "How about you Reese? When do you remember him doing it?" I questioned. "Umm, I guess when I remember was when I was maybe 4 or 5. He would come home angry and push things on the ground, making them break. He would go up to mommy's room and hit her until she cried so loud you could hear her from a mile away. Then she'd come into Yours and Ryan's room, beating both of you until you were black and purple. Well, until you were black and purple. I would hear the screaming and I'd try to get him off you guys but he would push me to the ground and hit me too. Not as hard, and with a fly swatter, but it still hurt. I want to shout at him and ask where our dad went. Mommy tells us stories about how he was before he was bad. It would help slightly so we could sleep for a little. I can't sleep. I scream every time I wake up from my dreams, he haunts me. And mommy. And Ryan. He doesn't love us anymore." She rubs her eyes and puts her head on my shoulder. Her eyes drift close and then fall asleep. Ryan did the same. I kissed their foreheads and squeezed their hands, gently so they know it's me.

A/N: so there's some background info on their dad. I know Zach's dad probably didn't do this, it's just for more detail. I dont know Zach's dad name so I don't mention it. If you do know it, comment it. Also, 300+ reads?!?!?! How tho?! I suck at writing! Love you all!! Good night 😘💤🌙😴.