Chapter Two: The Curious Case of Two Gay Dads

A/N

WARNING: This chapter is horrible. Like, if you could skip this part of the book, or just wait until I rewrite in about a week, it'd kick this story off so much better.

I'm going through editing a lot of this, and this chapter- HORRIBLE. I'm not kidding, it's freaking bad. Just skip through it or something- or hold on until the next chapter, cause it get's so much better.

It's Dutch.

Schuyler Bradshaw, with absent biological parents who were never in the picture, is pronounced with a 'shoe' and then a 'ler'. Which isn't that hard to understand, put it together- and it fits seamlessly with her. Apparently, a unique name for a unique girl, or at least that was what her dads would tell her. And then, of course, it's Bradshaw. As in 'Shaw' like the Cajun word 'sha' and Brad as in 'Brad Pitt, the gorgeous'.

Schuyler Bradshaw-- who, on first days of anything, is called Skyler.

Schuyler Bradshaw-- who had to endure Pre-K, Kindergarten, first grade through twelfth answering the question: Now is that Dutch or German?

It's Dutch, thank you, now she came here to learn, not to discuss the roots of her name and how inconceivably unique it is.

Schuyler Bradshaw-- who might just bite your head off because she's a college freshman, and she just finished an all-nighter with an uncomfortable library chair as her make-shift bed.

Schuyler Bradshaw-- who is ten minutes away from her job and ten minutes late.

She doesn't even want to talk about how she woke up- but she'll think about it.

Wearing yesterday's clothes- a wrinkled sweater with a pair of boyfriend overalls and old Keds- she frantically bikes down Frat Row, the sidewalk adjacent to her campus's main fraternity house, Alpha Phi Alpha. The house's occupants are a wide score of boys on sport scholarships, boys with arms as thick as their brains, and party-animals that are just attending college as a four-year-never-ending-party.

It's a diverse group of men that are as tight as brothers.

She doesn't bother with boys here... or anywhere, really. Schuyler has never been in love with the idea of being in love; instead it was a steady romance of textbooks and straight A's for the girl... and her obsession.

Most teenage girls go through a stage of holy-crap-twenty-year-olds-who-look-like-pre-pubescent-boys.

Schuyler didn't.

Somehow, her dads got her hopped up on a high of wolves.

As in the four-legged mammals, as in the lupus, as in capital 'W' in Wolf.

When her two friends, Zaineb and Tessa, lived through the phase of Disney princesses, Schuyler somehow decided that wolves were much cooler than two-legged, impossibly-skinny, historically-wrong princesses.

When her Grandma Leila would come to town, she'd present her with a book or magazine as thick as her mattress and all about her obsession. It isn't a guilty pleasure for Schuyler, because she isn't guilty about it-- more leisure in the time she spends studying, watching and thinking about wolves.

She doesn't take shame in the fact that she has a blog she updates every week. The website was originally meant to be about her, but to accomplish that, it had to be about wolves. And, she may be wearing a pair of Etsy bought underwear with a cheesy, over-used clichéd line of: Bite me; paw prints on each cheek and all. 

Even though it looks like it should be a Regretsy, she has three different pairs in three different colors.

But, about how she was so magnificently awaken.