epilogue

20 juin 2020

Right after they got engaged, Julian proposed the idea of immediately getting married.

They would change back into their street clothes and head towards a mairie just to get legally married. He even Googled what time council offices closed in Paris, and he was being broad. If there was one all the way in the twelfth arrondissement, he was drive there. Just give the man a couple cans of Coca-Cola, and he'll make the journey.

At first, the plan seemed a little absurd to Marcelle. She was more of a fan of waiting a bit only because she was tired from having played an entire football match but the more Julian talked about it, the more persuaded she became.

What can I say? Julian's very good at convincing people.

They actually did get legally married that same night, right after they left the Parc des Princes.

It was near nine o'clock, and Julian had driven to the neighboring eighth arrondissement for the closest mairie that was open at this time. They actually made it right before it closed, and when they asked to get married, the receptionist just looked at them funny before eventually nodding her head.

Julian and Marcelle got married in a very tiny, small ceremony with literally just receptionist present. But the catch was—they didn't tell anyone that they actually got married.

Marcelle preferred having a celebration for their wedding, but she thought it would be funny if she told all the guests that they got married six months ago. So that's what happened.

The picture of them on the pitch in their PSG uniforms and cleats, with Marcelle's hand proudly showing the ring really became such an iconic photo worldwide. It was an eccentric place and way to get engaged, but it seemed that everyone loved it. That same month, both of them extended their contracts with PSG, set to expire in 2024.

So they were known as that one PSG couple with the really good French girl and German guy on the internet. Julian was just glad no one remember the fact that Marcelle nutmegged him on home field.

It was six months of not telling anyone that they legally got married in January, not even their parents. And if you ask them, it was actually quite easy. Just another normal day, nothing new.

They did the wedding planning together with Julian only ever being useful when it came to catering and giving honeymoon ideas. Apparently the man wanted to go to Marseille for their honeymoon, but Marcelle responded with, "Anywhere but France, please."

But it all came together, and Marcelle was stuck in a dressing room with the hairdresser giving her the finals touches on her hair and makeup. Dabbing a little highlighter onto the inner corners of her eyelids and placing flowers in the braid that wrapped around her curled brunette hair. She looked like a literal princess in her dress where the skirt flowed down into a train detailed, the entire dress donned with little gold details.

"I can't believe my daughter's getting married," Élisa Vaugrenard sniffled as she hugged Marcelle in the dressing room, just minutes before the actual ceremony was about to start. She just had to see her daughter one last time before she enters a new stage of her life. "It's like you were just fifteen yesterday!" she cried.

"Mama, I'm twenty-five now," Marcelle said in an attempt to calm her mother, even she can't seem to believe that the day has already come. She wanted to cry, really. She was leaving a whole chapter of her life that shaped her into the person she is today, but she can't possibly mess up her makeup. "I'm a big girl now. You don't have to look after me anymore."

"You said the same thing when you left Bourges seven years ago," Élisa said, separating from Marcelle. "I'm just so happy for you and Julian. That boy really loves you, you know."