[27] A Serpent in the Grass

"There is another reason why I have come to visit," Osamu suddenly said. After he'd given Kohana his little present, they had settled into casual conversation. Although, now that Kohana thought about it, she'd spent most of the time talking about herself ("herself" being her team dynamics and her Kakashi whom she'd found out was well-acquainted with Osamu the same way Bunko was). Osamu didn't seem to mind, however. In fact, it was possible he even preferred it, though Kohana was in no position to complain; they had time and Osamu could talk about whatever he wanted to talk about for as long as he was comfortable with it.

Kohana tilted her head as she eyed the silver-haired man. His expression was carefully blank, but not necessarily absent—simply devoid of the accommodating aura he'd possessed when he first entered the room.

"I have come to bring you a message from the Third Hokage."

Kohana pursed her lips. On a normal day, any message from the Third Hokage would cause minimal anxiety—as Kohana never particularly cared much about getting in trouble for her "misdeeds"—but as things were, she couldn't be sure about what she felt. Perhaps Yoshiaki's story had something to do with it, or maybe not. Really, there was no way for Kohana to know.

"He believes that you may have a number of..." Osamu coughed into his fist awkwardly. "Inquiries. These inquiries are perhaps not limited to recent events and may broach the subject of your lineage. As such, he has allowed me to answer any and all questions you may have, seeing as he is currently unable to attend to matters outside village security and the examinations. Of course, should you feel discomfort at the thought of asking me questions, we will respect that; the Hokage is aware that you deserve answers from him as well. His only request is that you patiently wait for a time when the threat has passed," he explained, all in the most professional tone Kohana had ever heard in her entire life. It was disconcerting, to say the least, hearing all of that in relative monotone, but still so sternly put. Kohana couldn't possibly take offense to it, because while she quite liked Osamu's amiable manner, this fit him very well. She was told repeatedly that Osamu was the workaholic type, and there was no doubt the said trait would manifest in his speech as well.

But then, Osamu visibly softened, and it was as if Kohana was back in the Land of Waves having just escaped a gruesome fate all because of him. He had been as gentle as Konoha was at daybreak, when the winds whistled a song and the trees rustled as the sun rose in the horizon; when the village was blinking the sleep out of her eyes and prepared to face a new peaceful day; and he was no different now.

Osamu fixed her with that look, the look that showed how hard he was trying to assure her that everything was going to be alright as he said, "We are truly sorry that Hokage-sama cannot be here today, but if it is of any consolation to you, I will patiently tell you anything you need to help ease your mind." He paused for a moment, and if Kohana had any lingering doubts that this man could possibly look any gentler, any kinder, they were gone now. "You have done very well in spite of these harrowing circumstances, Kohana. No matter how things may seem, I still wish for you to remember this."

Warm liquid dripped down Kohana's cheeks. She panicked, fingers flying to her face only to find out that she was, indeed, crying. "Sensei..." she croaked, the lump in her throat overwhelming her. Only upon hearing his words did she feel the weight of the past few days rearing its head on her, finally. After the turmoil she'd experienced, this was the only moment of silence she'd ever had to herself, and all she'd done was think about how differently things could have turned out. She'd heard similar words from Kakashi, but never quite realized how much she needed someone to tell her she'd done well again.