END CREDIT SCENE

IT WAS A COUNTDOWN TO NEW YEAR'S. The three men were all in the loft living room, Steve having just arrived from his work where he had taken the earlier shift. He had been given the shift change easily, the people happy to hear that their well-intentioned, if not biased, worker wasn't going to be around on one of the busier nights.

"I was gonna make something super strong—like, Asgardian mead level strong—but I didn't have the time or the resources, so have fun entering the new year sober," was the first thing Nicky said when he ushered him into the room.

Rhett smiled from where he was sitting on the couch, raising his drink as a toast. "My serum doesn't really affect my body in the same way yours does, so I can get drunk. Poor you."

Steve rolled his eyes and bent down to kiss him, tasting the fruity alcohol of whatever it was Nicky had purchased from whatever liquor store he decided to drop by. He sat down next to him, and thus began the series of childish party games until the clock struck midnight.

"I didn't know you could sing, Nick," Steve commented, needing to raise his voice over Rhett's howling laughter after Nicky finished singing along with Mariah Carey on TV.

"I can do literally anything, Cap, try me, I am a god," he proclaimed, raising his drink and screaming towards the ceiling. Steve just shook his head and laughed, checking his phone again.

He had been waiting for a call or a text from Sam and Tony the entire night. Wanda and Clint had already called him, loudly greeting him, Wanda's laughter filling the phone and Clint's not far behind. It had warmed his walk towards the loft as he wished them a happy new year, listening to Wanda as she talked about all the dishes she had learned to make.

He had pushed away the worrying out of his mind long enough to endure the karaoke and charades, able to laugh along with the drunk men as the clock drew closer and closer to midnight.

"Ten...nine...eight...!" Nicky began to chant, Rhett chiming in as well. The rest of the building wasn't far behind, their shouts drifting through the open windows and not quite soundproof walls.

Steve's phone buzzed in his pocket and he dug it out quickly, answering without checking the time. "Hello?"

"Five...four...three...!"

A familiar voice spoke from the other end, casual and cool as ever, but so quiet that he almost missed it. "Happy New Year, Cap."

"One!"

Steve's phone dropped as soon as the call hung up, and he laughed as Rhett pulled him into a kiss. He was vaguely aware of Nicky cheering loudly, making his way to the door, his drink still in hand. He wrapped his arms around Rhett's waist, tugging him closer, pulling away slowly to press their foreheads together.

"Happy New Year, Rhett Reiser."

"Happy New Year, Steve Rogers."

"Holy shit!"

The two turned to see Nicky backing away from the door, his drink spilt, his hands desperately grabbing for a chair to keep himself upright. He pointed towards the familiar figure standing in the doorway, clearly trying to find his words and his tongue, both of which had become less than professional as the night wore on.

Sam Wilson raised an eyebrow as he stepped into the loft, closing the door behind him. He smiled towards the supersoldier who just stood there gawking, not far from Nicky's own expression, before glancing over at Rhett, the two sharing a nod of solidarity and understanding.

"Steve Rogers, you have a lot of explaining to do."

— RHETT REISER WILL RETURN —