Chapter 12

• John's POV •

Life with a mute boyfriend? Could I call Alex my boyfriend yet? Anyways, it was different. Luckily I knew sign language. I couldn't imagine how our friendship or kind of dating thing would be like if I didn't know ASL.

Since our date, Alex has been at the Schuyler's with me a lot. He's helping me pack up, because I got a job and I'm moving to my own apartment soon. I've been learning a lot about him, but he still won't tell me why he's mute.

Apparently, before he stopped talking he was fluent in French and Spanish, and he said he can still remember all of it, and that he reviews both languages in his head all the time.

In all honesty, I was a bit jealous of that. My mother was Puerto Rican and knew Spanish. But she died when I was younger, before I ever got the chance to learn. Maybe if Alex ever starts speaking, he can teach me.

I finished taping up my last box. I had quite a bit of stuff now, after living at the Schuyler's for multiple months. Plus, Mr. Schuyler, who's always been there for me as a father figure even before I was kicked out, insisted I take the things from the guest bedroom I had been staying in.

Like, literally. Everything. The bed, the dresser, the curtains. He said he wanted me to spend the least amount of money possible and that it was the least he could do for me. I didn't understand why he was giving me all this. I was super grateful, but I spend months at his house, not the other way around. It was odd.

I looked over to Alex, who was sitting on a few boxes looking more tiny than usual. I suppose it's because the boxes where nearly half his height. He looked up at me from his phone with a smile, and hopped off the box he'd been perched on.

He walked over to me and grabbed my hand as we watched the moving people Mr. Schuyler insisted on, as they carried our boxes. We'd decided, with the help of Alex's cousin Usnavi, that Alex would move in with me. But it wasn't a huge move. Usnavi's apartment was a floor below mine, so we could visit anytime.

Taking me by surprise, Alex got up on his tiptoes and pressed his lips to mine softly. I smiled into the kiss but he pulled away after a short moment.

John, what are we?

He signed with a timid sort of look on his face. I beamed at him and held his hand a little tighter.

"Well, I was hoping you'd be my boyfriend? I mean, we are moving in together." I laughed. His eyes lit up and he nodded rapidly, smiling bigger than I've ever seen.

That gorgeous smile that makes me fall apart every. Damn. Time.

After a little while we're in the car together, driving to the new apartment. I look over and smile at him as we pull into the parking lot and walk up together.

I unlock the door to our apartment and we both push the door open together. Our stuff is still in boxes but the couch and TV are set up. I pull Alex in for a kiss before we head off to unpack.

Our new life together was about to start.

a/n: it's been a long time. I'm really sorry it took so long to get a chapter out (and a short one at that) but I've just been struggling a lot with school and friends and mental health stuff, as well as having a really really low motivation for everything, including updating. but hopefully me posting this chapter will restart my schedule and make it more frequent and consistent.