seventeen

Jo

We sat in the living room, in a rather uncomfortable silence. The man from earlier sat on the old love seat back from my college apartment, whilst Harry and I sat on the big couch, on opposite ends, of course.

I probably sat there for almost ten minutes with that Rick guy watching me before he finally said something.

"So, I finally get to meet the lovely Jo Cordova in person."

"Yeah. That's me." We sat there once again in silence as I noticed out of the corner of my eye Harry getting much too comfortable on my couch. "I'm sorry if this comes out as rude but what are you doing here?"

Rick laughed a loud, hearty laugh, the sound odd to hear in this house as he looked at me. "Well, the company just wanted to make sure you and Harry were getting along just fine... we can't have the press creating stories about Harry being an absentee father or something."

"Um... excuse me?"

Was my hearing going bad, or did he just say what I think he said?

"Listen, Jo, we're going to make you a deal you won't be able to resist." In a matter of seconds, he tossed a couple of papers on to the temporary coffee table in my living room, pushing them closer so I could grab them.

"All we want you to do is let Harry stick around for a while -- just in case the press do find out about the baby -- "

"For how long?"

"For the rest of the pregnancy until you give birth."

Here's the thing: I want absolutely nothing to do with Harry, and I know that I can easily just say no and my hands will be cleaned of him forever. But something about it just feels wrong... I can't explain it, but it just does.

Maybe it's because I don't usually deny to help people, or maybe it's because deep down, I know Harry's my baby's true father and I wouldn't be having a baby if it weren't for him.

Maybe that's what possessed me to do what I did next.

"Depends what's in it for me."

Rick smiled at me, and I faintly noticed Harry straightening up in his seat. I can only imagine what he was thinking at the moment as Rick had his attention solely focused on me.

"Child support. You get a fraction of Harry's earnings just for cooperating."

"And does this end after he leaves?"

"No. You can continue to get child support if..." he trailed off, glancing at Harry before turning to face me.

"If, what?"

"If I'm... listed as the father on the baby's birth certificate." Harry was the one who spoke this time as I turned to face him. I stared at him, watching as he stared at his hands, not even having the guts to look me in the eye.

"No... I'm not going to list you as the father, are you insane?" I attempted to keep myself calm as I turned back towards Rick. "I'll do it; I'll let him tag along but I want him gone after I give birth. The second my baby is in this world, he better leave me alone. Are we clear?"

"Yes we are... very clear," he mumbled, holding his hand out across the table, waiting for me to shake it.

And I did.

It's a done deal.

____________

a/n.

this chapter was kind of boring and really badly written (( sorry about that )) but it was necessary. sorry if you didn't like it.

but i hope you did c:

cote + fan / follow please c:

and thank you so much for all of the support on this story i love you guys so freaking much you don't even understand. you guys are literally amazing. ily <3