Parent Teacher Panic

(AU)

--

"Alright, you can do this Jim." The words repeated in his mind over and over as he continued to tidy the top of his desk. Never in a million years did Jim Hopper think he would be a kindergarten teacher at Hawkins Elementary.

His new job sounded like a joke to anybody who knew him in his younger ages. His old football buddies busted a gut when he told them over drinks.

Of course, the lack of moral support was to be expected. Nobody in Hawkins was that successful so nobody felt the need to route others on, but Jim was a big boy. Maybe it was because his lack of work with kids or him being rough around the edges in his teenage years, but he had hoped he would still do a decent job.

Luckily for Hopper, the first few children that came in weren't all that attached and crying at their mothers' hips, but for the ones who were, Hopper managed to persuade them with toys. It wasn't as hard as he expected.

Then she came in. Jim had never seen a woman with such glorious beauty in his life. Her milky skin was complemented by the curly chocolate locks that bounced on her shoulders. Her ensemble suited her small figure with a silk black blouse and a dark green, calf-high pencil skirt. She was barely wearing any makeup but her natural beauty was breathtaking. And then she smiled, and Hopper thought he had an aneurysm.

"Hi, hello! I'm uh... Jopper, Hopper! Jim Hopper!" Well, that went fucking fantastic. First 10 seconds and he was already illiterate, but the woman only smiled.

"Nice to meet you, Mr. Hopper. This is my son Will. I think he's in your class?" They directed their attention to the frightened little boy clutching to her leg.

"Will! Will Byers! Ah-h yes." Hopper stuttered mercilessly until he bent down to the scared little six year old.

"Hi Will, I'm Mr. Hopper." Jim said as he stuck his hand out to shake the little boy's hand. Will was hesitant but shook his new teacher's hand.

"See that little boy over there?" Hopper asked as he pointed to a solo little boy who had jet black hair. Will nodded and looked back up to his new friendly teacher.

"His name is Mike, and he is feeling pretty scared himself. Maybe you'd like to color with him?" Hopper asked with hopeful eyes. Little Will started to sport a smile while Hopper realized he had hit the jackpot on the first try.

"Give me a hug, big boy, I'll be back in just a little bit, alright?" Will's mom spoke as she knelt down to hug him. Will was hesitant again but with a little nudge from his Mrs. Byers, he ran off to Mike.

"Thank you for that. He's a pretty anxious little boy." Mrs. Byers said with her own nervous smile as she peeked over to see Will settling in at his table.

"I'm sure he will do great today, Mrs. Byers." Luck was starting to turn on Hopper's side as he gained his eloquence back... sorta. At least when he wasn't looking at her directly.

"I hope so. I forgot to introduce myself, I'm Joyce." She smiled and stuck her hand out to shake his but Hopper felt like he was paralyzed.

After a millisecond too long, Hopper gained back his ability to comprehend and gently shook her hand back.

"Joyce! I love that name, I uh I had a neighbor with the last name Boyce which sounds the same but Joyce is much prettier.... I'm rambling oh my God." Jim had said it all in one breath. Quickly he retracted his hand and physically wrapped his other hand around his mouth to shut himself up. All he wanted to do was melt into a pile of nothing.