Zhang Liyuan Autism - Highlighting Key Differences Within Learning Disabilities

Autism is a common neuro developmental disorder. In the US, it affects one child in every 68 children. 1 in 42 boys and 1 in 189 girls are on the spectrum (of Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD)). Quite often, Autism and ASD get wrongly diagnosed as a LD (Learning Disability) or as an attention disorder like ADHD. The cause for this may lie with overlapping symptoms which cannot be easily distinguished from each other.

In reality, autism and ASD are very different from LDs. LDs are characterized by an impaired ability to learn, whereas autism and ASD involve difficulty in social understanding, communication and repetitive routines. As they are very different from each other, they have to be dealt with differently. It is not only about the intervention and treatment for both; Education as well as instruction should be unique to autism and learning disabilities. Therefore, autistic children will benefit the most if enrolled into autism schools and children with learning disabilities will learn best in schools that are equipped to care for such children.

 Therefore, autistic children will benefit the most if enrolled into autism schools and children with learning disabilities will learn best in schools that are equipped to care for such children

Key Differences between Autism and Learning Disabilities-

Difficulties with social interactions are a common symptom of autism which is also seen in many children with learning disabilities, but the cause for both is very different. Problems with social interaction within LD are related to specific learning issues.

Similarly, visual processing issues in children with learning disabilities cause them to stand very close to a person while conversing due to their impaired ability to judge distances. The same issue with autistic children is due to the lack of a sense of personal space.

It is very important to accurately identify the disorder so that an effective strategy can be adopted to help the child, which includes placement in autism schools or special schools for children with LDs.

Importance of early identification and the right follow-up:

When identified at an early age (2-3 years), autism can be effectively treated to significantly reduce problems faced by the child. The severity and intensity of the symptoms may vary greatly, which demand for individualized and specific strategies for each person affected by autism.

Once the condition has been identified, an appropriate support level is decided, which may range between 1-3 depending on the severity of symptoms.

Autism schools are capable of catering to all of the unique needs of autistic children. Their behavioral patterns, social aloofness, sensitivity towards change and sensory susceptibility are addressed and an individualized program is put into effect.

The DIR (Developmental, Individual-difference, Relationship-based) model and Floortime Therapy are some of the working models employed in autism schools that make learning and growing an easier process for autistic children. These models are based on relatable concepts which proactively involve the children's parents.

Zhang Liyuan Autism helps to bring down the children's inhibitions and make them actively-interacting social individuals.