18. Blame

"The attack today?" Niccolò repeatedly dangerously, his voice dark. Cee had his full, undivided attention now, but wasn't sure she wanted it.

"The...man," she replied lamely, looking down at her hands. "The one that tried to shoot me."

She heard his chair scrape back and before she could blink, Niccolò was kneeling in front of her, his thumb and forefinger gripping her chin tightly. "Did he hurt you, cara? " he demanded roughly, tilting her face to the light to check for bruising.

Cee shook her head, brushing him away. "I'm fine- " His palm slid across her cheek, cradling her face, holding her in place tightly. She shrank back slightly at his dark glower, feeling how strong he was, how easily he could hurt her - but they both knew he wouldn't.

"Did you try to hide this from me?" He sounded furious, an eruption waiting to happen; her heart was racing - either at their proximity or fear.

"I don't understand- why would I?" Satisfied with her answer, he let go, storming to his desk. "Niccolò?"

He typed something into his phone, slamming it down on his desk. Cee flinched, sitting upright and shrinking into the sofa. "Niccolò?" He ignored her, his fists clenching and unclenching.

"Go into my bedroom." Cee stared in confusion at the dangerous, fuming man glaring out the window, standing up and slowly approaching. His eyes watched her every move, cautiously, a tortured expression on his face as he let her slip her hand into his.

"No," she murmured, her heart pounding - but her refusal didn't seem to matter too much. "Please, tell me what's happening."

Before he could reply, the door slammed open; two armed guards forced a familiar man in front of Niccolò. Cee fought back a cry of fear, scrambling away to the far corner of his office, her eyes darting between the Romano Don and his victim.

"Tell me the orders I gave you." Niccolò was glaring down at the struggling man, his shoulders tensed with anger - forgetting that just a moment ago, he was softening. At that moment, Cee had never been more scared of him; shadows seemed to curl around his fists, sheer darkness in his eyes.

"Report any issues, sir." Niccolò considered the man in front of him, his face cold.

"Tell me, cousin, why I am hearing that there was an attack on my guest." Cee flinched, realising too late what she'd done.

Luca lifted his head, his expression guilty. "I didn't tell you, sir." Cee didn't have time to look away; she watched in horror as Niccolò drove his fist into Luca's stomach: hard. The two guards held Luca up, holding his arms back to prevent him protecting himself or striking back. Cee fought back a cry, listening to the sound of Luca choking for air.

"Who was it?" Niccolò's voice was so calm, almost like they were having a light chat over coffee.

"D'Angelos," Luca replied thickly, his voice slurred with pain.

Romano lifted Luca by the collar of his shirt, his eyes black with rage.

"If you weren't my blood, I'd kill you," he informed Luca darkly, thrusting his fist forward. Cee flinched, hearing the crack of Luca's nose, the sound of flesh on flesh. She covered her face, tears rising to her eyes as she heard Luca grunt in pain, over and over - she could hear something - blood - dripping now, Niccolò just wouldn't stop-

Silence. Cee opened her eyes slowly, her gaze falling on the bloodied man on the floor. Luca was curled around his stomach, trying to defend himself by making himself as small as possible.

"Never betray me again," Romano breathed. "Get out of my sight."

The two guards hauled Luca's barely conscious body to his feet, stumbling out of the office. Cee stayed silent, not daring to breathe as she slipped back over the sofa, sitting bolt upright.