thirteen

||CHAPTER 13||
《¤》

Even the librarian was suprised to see me between the rows of fiction and Young Adult Reads.

I couldn't blame her; it wasn't like I looked like a person who would like to read all day.

"Need any help? What are you looking for?"

"Just skimming," I told her, picking out a random book from the shelf.

"I assume it's your free period?"

It was my P.E. period, but she didn't need to know the fact that I was bunking it.

"Yeah," I reply. She nods and turns to go back, when I stop her, "Could you tell me where to find books on business studies?"

"You're a Science student, aren't you?"

That's why I didn't want to ask her; I didn't like raising suspicions.

"I have this... you know, G.K. quiz coming up. And it required me to learn about the stock market and stuff, so I was wondering..."

"Third row, fourth shelf on the right. Are you issuing any book?"

"I'd like to, thanks."

After helping me with the books, the old librarian starts making my Issue Card, keeping an eye on me from her desk. Ignoring her, I settled at a desk farthest from her scrutiny, gawking at the strange books which I'd probably never understand.

But I had to.

So, when the bell rang half an hour later, I was relieved, and after issuing the book that I'd atleast try to understand, I left the library.

Karan was exiting his psychology class, across the halway that led to the library. "Arvika? Library? What're you doing here?"

"It's a peaceful place for a power nap," I replied, hiding the book slithely inside my blazer.

"So you're bunking P.E. by being lazy?"

We fell into step, and started climbing upstairs, "Uh, you know, girly problems."

That wouldn't make it a complete lie now.

"Awkward," he chuckled.

Students were filling the classroom again, and since it was the last period of the day, the otherwise quick process was naturally slowed down.

"Get inside already," the Maths teacher grumbles, but his expression worsens when he spots me. "Arvika Deewan, right? Mr. Thakur is calling you."

Karan squeazes my shoulder, maybe out of sympathy, and as I depart, Arnav catches my eye. The contact stays for few seconds before the Sir asks me to hurry and copy the notes if I'm late.

Knocking on the door to the Physics faculty, I await approval. When Mr. Thakur spots me from between the mountains of books and papers, he ushers me in.

"Good Afternoon, Sir."

"Good Afternoon. You might be knowing why I've called you?"

"It's about the test on which I cheated." I nod.

"Do you despise Physics, Arvika?"

I gave out an awkward smile, "I do try to maintain equilibrium with it."

"Well, the school policy despises unfair means."

I don't reply.

"You were doing it for your friend, weren't you? You haven't attempted after the third question, and whatever you did attempt, consists of wrong answers. And the answer Arman was sending was of the seventh. Chakkar kya hai?"