15. Airport

The asshole leans against his car with the most innocent look on his face, as if he didn't just meld my heart like clay.

I run to Ha Joon and he looks up, then grins and opens his arms wide. I plunge into his embrace.

"Why did you wait until now to tell me?" I mutter against his chest.

He caresses my hair as he responds. "It just wasn't the right time. I wasn't even sure of it myself until..."

"Until what?" I peel myself from his body and look up at him.

"I carried you to your room and laid you on the bed. You were sleeping there peacefully and it...it did something to me, Hye. I couldn't just let the feeling pass without saying anything."

I nod, swallowing. "Ha Joon, you know we can't date now."

"I know. And I wasn't hoping that you would want to despite you leaving." He clarifies. "Think of it as a friendly reminder that there's always someone back here in Seoul that has a crush on you."

I smile, but the thought also makes me sad. Ha Joon is stopping himself from liking other girls by doing this. By telling me, it's like an unspoken contract he has signed to not date someone else.

And it makes me feel so guilty.

What if I find a guy that I really like in Busan? What if I just view tonight as my younger, immature self getting excited over nothing and forget about Ha Joon? How would he feel when I visit Seoul?

"Ha Joon, listen to me. What you said is so sweet, honestly. But-"

I can't even say the words. His face shows the terror of rejection, wondering if I'll say what he thinks.

"Don't think you need to stay loyal to me." I finish. "When I go, who knows if we'll even stay in touch? Sure, we've been friends for life, but what if we just get really busy and stop talking?" I sigh. "Just know that if you find and love another girl, I won't be hurt or mad at all."

I put a hand on his shoulder as he heaves a sigh. "You're right. I'm putting too much pressure on the both of us." I smile sadly at him. "Well, then you should know that if you find another guy in Busan, I want you to put your all into making that relationship work."

I hug him one last time, tightly, secretly not wanting to let go. But I do.

He gets in his car and I watch until it becomes nothing and the sound of its engine is no longer there.

+++
Kyung Mi POV

When I arrive at Hye's place, her entire family is outside, including Mongshil.

Soomin is latched onto her leg, continuously crying. She refuses to let go.

I walk up to them to be greeted by her parents.

Soomin's mother plucks her from Hye, and holds the despaired three-year-old.

"Hye...bye bye....no!" She sobs.

"She'll come back." Her mom replies, sharp eyebrows raised. "Right?"

That seems like more of a threat than a question, I think.

Hye nods and fakes a smile before turning to her birth father.

"Appa, thank you so much for all that you've done for me. I'll never forget the opportunities presented to me because of you." She hugs him one last time before letting go and he ruffles her hair, chuckling.

"Be sure to visit, you big doofus. And stay safe."

"I will." She grins at him before lugging her suitcase and walking to my car.

I open the trunk and rev the engine as Jimin moves from the passenger seat to the back.

Hye climbs in and I back away from the driveway. She opens the window as we turn and waves once more before we speed off to the airport.

+++
Hye POV

"Ha-Ha Joon?" The sound escapes like a strangled cry from my lips, but it's still audible enough for him to hear me.

He turns around, eyes twinkling as a genuine smile appears on his face. "Hye!"

He comes over. "I couldn't let you leave without saying goodbye, now, could I?"

My cheeks heat up from the intense gazes of Kyung Mi and Jimin.

As much as I want to look calm and collected in front of Ha Joon, my fucking contacts decide to act up.

"Ah!" I recoil back and bring my hand to my eye, which is now tearing up due to the pain.

"Hye, you okay?" Kyung Mi asks.

"Uh-I have to go the bathroom." Knowing my luggage is in the safe hands of Jimin, I scurry to the ladies' room with my my backpack bouncing up and down as I run.

When I reach my destination, I peel off my backpack and take out the mini contact solution container I kept just in case.

Thank goodness.

I put the lens in the palm of my left hand after I take it out of my eye. Dowsing it in solution, I quickly put it at the tip of my index finger before putting it back in my eye.

"Phew, that's a lot better."

The things I do to look prettier. I sigh.

By the time I go back to where my friends are, Ha Joon is nowhere in sight.

"Ha Joon left." Kyung Mi mutters. "He thought he was making you uncomfortable. Are you alright, though?"

I nod quickly. "There was just something stuck in my lens, but I washed it out." My heart hurts at the thought of him leaving without saying goodbye. I guess I can only text him, now.

Me

You didn't make me uncomfortable, my contact just acted up

Me

But thanks for coming anyway. I'll miss you, Ha Joon.

He responds immediately.

Ha Joon

Thank goodness. I didn't want to make it awkward coming to the airport after yesterday. I wanted to say bye to you as a friend.

Ha Joon

But, you know, your contacts aren't worth it. You're so beautiful without them. I hope you know that.

My heart squeezes at his comment, and I put my phone away. I can't think about him like that right now.

When we reach security, I turn to face the pair. "This is where we have to say goodbye, I guess."

Jimin lifts a hand up in farewell. "It was nice meeting you, Hye. Have fun in Busan!" He smiles and I return it.

Kyung Mi smiles sadly and envelopes me in a big hug. "I'll miss you, girl."

There's a big silence where we move in a circle, hugging each other tightly and not wanting to let go.

When we finally do, we both see a tear has escaped the other's eye.

"Don't cry." We both say in unison. We hug once more quickly before she quickly kisses my cheek.

"I love you, Pabo.* Stay safe."

"You too, Kyung Mi."

---

a/n: *pabo means dumb/foolish/silly