Four

I think I freaked out my own psychiatrist.

We had been talking for about forty-five minutes when I brought up yesterday morning's events.

"A noise? What kind of noise?" he asked, looking up, his pen paused over his notebook.

"Um, like the hardwood creaking in my bedroom...the only time that ever happens is when someone steps on it. I had just gotten in the shower, and I was alone in the house." I stopped, still stricken by the look of concern on his face.

"Go on."

"I was in the shower, like I said, and I heard that creaking sound. I stuck my head out and yelled for my friend Andrew, thinking it may have been him—see, he had just left my house and—"

Liam cut me off. "Andrew? You haven't mentioned him before."

"Oh, he's just my best friend from...well, forever." I couldn't help but smile even as my cheeks turned pink.

"And you're sure it wasn't him?" Liam asked, eyebrow raised.

"Yeah, why would he lie? He told me he didn't come back."

Liam nodded and continued writing. "And when did you say this happened? Before work, right?"

I furrowed my brow, confused. "Umm, yeah. I guess it would've been around 8:00. Why? What does that matter?"

"That's early for a visit, isn't it?" Liam asked, his voice casual.

The blush on my cheeks deepened. Did I have to tell Liam about my relationship with Andrew? I knew I couldn't get away with staying silent for much longer, so I decided it was best to be straight with my shrink.

"Well, I...um, see, Andrew and I are...how do I put this..." Liam just watched me and cocked his head to one side. Jeez...he was going to make me say it. "Andrew and I have a sort of...arrangement. We are there for each other when one of us needs...er...Sex." I sighed and sat back in my chair.

For a moment, Liam just stared at me. I was about to ask if he was okay when he cleared his throat.

"Charlotte, this concerns me."

I curled my lip. This was not the reaction I had expected. What had I expected? I don't know...but not a lecture.

"What do you mean, concerns you?" I asked, perplexed.

"Charlotte, that kind of relationship, while it feels good in the moment, is unhealthy. Intimacy with no plans to commit is setting yourself up for heartbreak. I don't mean to sound harsh or judgmental; I know what it's like to be lonely."

It was all I could do to keep a straight face. Yeah, right. There was no way this man had ever known lonely. But I held it together as I planned a response and let out a sigh.

"I guess you're right. It's not like I haven't thought about that before," I conceded. It was true; I had thought to myself many times over the years that one of us would end up getting hurt. It wasn't fair to Andrew. Or to me.

"I would suggest limiting your interaction with Andrew for the time being. Until you're back on solid ground and can have a little more control over your emotions," Liam said, putting the cap on his pen and standing. I mirrored him and bent over to get my bag. When I straightened, Liam was standing in front of me. I jumped a little, startled by his proximity.

He laid a hand on my shoulder, and I felt the connection run through my veins.

When he spoke, his words were a melodic murmur that settled over my entire being. "Bottom line, Charlotte? You are a beautiful and intelligent young woman. You deserve a man who is going to take care of you...in every way." With his last words, he ran his palm down my arm and held my hand in his. My heart was beating so loudly, I was sure he could hear it. He leaned closer to me, and I could smell the spearmint on his breath. "You deserve the world, Charlotte Jameson," he said, and with that, left me standing in a puddle in the middle of his office.