Chapter 12. A squirrel.

Harl was glad for the bright light outside after the dark council chamber. It seemed that the judgement had spread to the town quickly. Instead of the lingering gazes that followed him and Sonora there was accepting nods. An old woman had stopped Harl soon after they left.

'I have pity for you, son. They should not have taken the gift of children from you.'

He thanked her and moved on, but not everyone was so friendly. More than once he heard voices raised just loud enough for him to hear, even though the speakers never showed themselves. But they all boiled down to the same argument.

'What right has he to land? Who knows what crimes he's guilty of? Better to give it to us and let us bury him under it.'

But it was a young girl who silenced them. She ran up to Harl and gave him a bouquet of bright red flowers he had no name for.

'The god has graced us with you, Mr Harl. He has marked you special amongst us and it is a blessing.'

The three of them stopped briefly at a tavern when Gorman declared a sudden thirst. A quiet spread through the busy room when they entered, but conversation was soon a dull roar again as they made for the bar.

The barman saw them approach and slid a mug of ale to Harl. Harl took a sip and his eyes widened in surprise. The taste was better than Harken's finest, rich and fruitful.

'This, good barkeep, is probably the finest ale I've ever tasted.'

The barman slammed his palm down on the bar and roared with triumph. 'A man of taste. Hear that? The best, he says! The best! A keg of ale to you, sir, with my thanks. I'll see it delivered to your holdings, and let no one say Olger does not reward a kind word. Is there anywhere on the land to store the keg?'

'There is nothing on the land so far except trees and squirrels,' Harl said, tipping the mug to his lips.

'What,' Olger asked 'is a squirrel?'

Harl was caught off guard and didn't know how to explain. He was about to say it was a common creature but he was saved by Sonora's quick wit.

'It is a rare herb and is used for ulcers of the intimate area, Mr Olger. You wouldn't be needing any now, would you?'

Olger's face flushed bright red and he mumbled something before turning away to clean some already spotless glasses. The room exploded with laughter.